Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 790011 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2450 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »
I guess add-on packs and stuff have always been around, but still. Here almost 3 years later, Valve is still pushing out new free content for TF2 on a regular basis. Plus with community content, there's always tons of other maps to try out.

Maybe I'm just spoiled.

But even Valve is inconsistent with this, considering the quick turn-around of titles like "Left 4 Dead 2," only 12 months after the original. Many claimed this should have been set at a discount, DLC-esque price... and not released as a "full retail" game. In reality, it only makes sense to squeeze out every little drop you can get from a big-budget game release (some companies are good at this: EA, Valve, etc. / and some companies are bad at this: Bioware / Activision). When it comes to my role as a consumer, I have to judge the value of DLC and weigh it against the overall consumer value of the $50 to $60 retail price of the original game. "Heavy Rain" came out with their first DLC content, which was priced at $5.00. I feel like this is a perfect pricing point for the amount of gameplay and enjoyment you can get from it. However, I don't feel like $15.00 for 3 new maps and 2 throwbacks is hardly worth it. But then again, there are die-hard Modern Warfare players who would shell out the money in the blink of an eye. As consumers, we have the final say... and ever since Bethesda charged money for "horse armor" in Oblivion, we've been supporting this industry since day one with our wallets.  :-\

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #2451 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
Left 4 Dead 2 isn't really the same thing. Firstly, because it's more than just a map pack. The argument that it should have been released with an add-on price rather than the full-game price can be had, but it's a separate issue. Secondly, they didn't abandon L4D1. They still gave it free content releases, and I believe more are in the works for both L4D1 and 2. I understand not everyone can afford to support their games to the level that Valve does, but maps are too cheap to make to justify charging for alone.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2452 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
I'm finally closing in on the Metroid Prime 3 ending, probably with a rather good completion ratio as well.
Done, 89% completion after 23 hours of playing time. And now I'm watching the 100% ending on Youtube :P
Anyway, that was really good. I immediately popped in the first game (from the Trilogy disc) and only then did I realize how far the series had come with Corruption. It's still playable of course but 3 is a lot neater. Other M now is probably my most anticipated game of the year.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #2453 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
I bought Torchlight on sale on Steam last week for five bucks and have been having a blast with it. It's great on my laptop for killing a half hour here and there.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2454 on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
So yeah, Giantbomb is totally doing an endurance run of Deadly Premonitions and, at least the Vinny/Jeff one is absolutely hysterical. Will probably watch the Ryan/Brad one later to see if it can compare. Call me York, that's what everyone calls me.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2455 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
So yeah, Giantbomb is totally doing an endurance run of Deadly Premonitions and, at least the Vinny/Jeff one is absolutely hysterical. Will probably watch the Ryan/Brad one later to see if it can compare. Call me York, that's what everyone calls me.

I don't get that game... I mean... I get why it could be a cult favorite, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to suffer through that game just for a few funny/cheesy moments? A horrible film is only 1.5 - 2 hours long, and usually does not warn out it's welcome. I've heard this game is at least 40 hours in length...  ::)

In other news, I found out that the Irrational Games Studio is only five minutes from my apartment...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Waterston+Ave&daddr=42.266194,-71.012793+to:Quincy,+MA&geocode=FUT_hAIdZHvE-w%3B%3BFU26hAIdYpfE-yll7_KXwWTjiTFjQcUamLT4zA&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=42.264638,-71.002064&sspn=0.017563,0.033088&ie=UTF8&ll=42.260795,-70.995884&spn=0.035128,0.066175&t=h&z=14

I wonder if they have any internship opportunities?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:44:49 PM by Solid Blake »

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #2456 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
myself
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2457 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
I don't know, it seems like a pretty cool game. At least the in town stuff.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2458 on: April 06, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »
Volleyball.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2459 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »
Volleyball.

pixote

Perfect weather.

love