love

Author Topic: How About A discussion of 5 Best Books On Cinema  (Read 26474 times)

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
Re: How About A discssion of 5 Best Books On Cinema
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
A 5 best list is too easy, Bazin, Truffaut interviewing Hitchcock, This is Orson Welles and a few others are essential readings for everyone who calls himself a cinephile, goin' out of the canon I'd say

1 - Kubrick by Michel Ciment
2 - David Lynch by Michel Chion
3 - Essential Cinema by Rosenbaum (every Rosenbaum book deserves to be read)
4 - Conversations with Woody Allen by Eric Lax
5 - Antonioni Centenary Essays published by the BFI recently

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
3 - Essential Cinema by Rosenbaum (every Rosenbaum book deserves to be read)
Word. I should read more Rosenbaum.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
Somewhere in my house is an as-yet-unread copy of Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time ...

Has anyone here read that who could post a really enthusiastic recommendation so that I might be inspired to get off on my ass and finally crack it open?
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: How About A discussion of 5 Best Books On Cinema
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
Following through on a link from last week's show, are there any other #TeamSarris members/amateur cinephiles interested in doing a monthly book club on the first four books in Andrew Sarris' best books film criticism?  They are:*

1. Agee on Film, James Agee (2000 ed., 496 pages) ("a message critic, very much concerned with what film said, and very sociologically oriented")

2. The Immediate Experience: Movies, Comics, Theatre, and Other Aspects of Popular Culture, Robert Warshow (2002 ed., 352 pages) ("took movies as they were, and didn’t ask them to bear the weight of social messages")

3. What Is Cinema? Vol. 1, Andre Bazin (2d ed. 2004, 207 pages) ("felt that films should have a realism to them")

4. Negative Space, Manny Farber (1998 ed., 412 pages) ("took unpretentious films seriously, and encouraged others to do so too")

(* From what I understand, the fifth book - The New Biographical Dictionary of Film by David Thompson (6th ed. 2014, 1168 pages) - is more of an encyclopedic reference.)
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »
Following through on a link from last week's show, are there any other #TeamSarris members/amateur cinephiles interested in doing a monthly book club on the first four books in Andrew Sarris' best books film criticism
Wish I had time for this; I'd love to. Need to devote my summer to Hitchcock and developing a syllabus - and also to the design of a new literature class I'm teaching in the fall.  Think I will go ahead and buy the books though.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
Following through on a link from last week's show, are there any other #TeamSarris members/amateur cinephiles interested in doing a monthly book club on the first four books in Andrew Sarris' best books film criticism
Wish I had time for this; I'd love to. Need to devote my summer to Hitchcock and developing a syllabus - and also to the design of a new literature class I'm teaching in the fall.  Think I will go ahead and buy the books though.

Well, it seemed like a fun thing to do (been kinda sick of writing for the last few months, time to switch to more reading).
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
Anyone have and recommendations for books on animated films? I'm reading a couple of books that are more about the craft of animation and they're pretty fascinating, but I wanted something more critical/academic about animated films.

love