love

Author Topic: Deadwood  (Read 5432 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Deadwood
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
While I like your likes, I disagree a lot with your dislikes, especially Wild Bill, and super especially Olyphant who is sex on a stick in Deadwood.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »
I agree about Olyphant, Kimble, I nearly fell asleep every time he came on screen. But I totally disagree about Keith Carradine (who's great) and Molly Parker (who is not).
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »
Olyphantastic!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:58:07 AM »
But I totally disagree about Keith Carradine (who's great) ...
I felt he was the only one who put on a deep acting voice to play a tough guy. He didn't sell me the aging gunslinger/outlaw one bit. Don't get me wrong, I liked Wild Bill's story but Keith Carradine was even worse then in Dexter. You really dig his performance here?

and Molly Parker (who is not).
I don't think she's very likable but she's not set out to be. She's a passive catalyst and her choices have a massive impact on the town of Deadwood. She starts as a submissive junkie and ends as a strong and fairly independent woman. I like the fact that the writers didn't take it too far with her. It would have been easy to turn her into a cold blooded business woman. The changes she goes through and the person she is at the end makes a believable whole, I think. Molly Parker did a good job at getting all this across.

While I like your likes, I disagree a lot with your dislikes, especially Wild Bill, and super especially Olyphant who is sex on a stick in Deadwood.
I don't know what to tell you. I didn't fall in love with the guy. He's a handsome, boring actor who looks good in a sheriff's 'uniform'.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:02:01 AM by DrKimble »
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
How'd you like Sol Star and Doc Cochran?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »
But I totally disagree about Keith Carradine (who's great) ...
I felt he was the only one who put on a deep acting voice to play a tough guy. He didn't sell me the aging gunslinger/outlaw one bit. Don't get me wrong, I liked Wild Bill's story but Keith Carradine was even worse then in Dexter. You really dig his performance here?
Yeah, I can see what you're saying about putting on a voice, but I remember thinking he had great presence on screen. It's been a while so I can't really say much more than that. I've never seen Dexter but I'll take your word for it.

and Molly Parker (who is not).
I don't think she's very likable but she's not set out to be. She's a passive catalyst and her choices have a massive impact on the town of Deadwood. She starts as a submissive junkie and ends as a strong and fairly independent woman. I like the fact that the writers didn't take it too far with her. It would have been easy to turn her into a cold blooded business woman. The changes she goes through and the person she is at the end makes a believable whole, I think. Molly Parker did a good job at getting all this across.
I think the character is pretty interesting too, I just find Molly Parker so unconvincing. I remember thinking that she was playing at the character rather than inhabiting her, if you know what I mean. To be fair, I haven't watched all of season 3 yet, so maybe she'd impress me in those episodes.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »
I started watching this again. This time with friends. We watched the first four eps in one sitting.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
I started watching this again. This time with friends. We watched the first four eps in one sitting.

It is quite addicting, and not to sound like a broken record, but that Olyphant, dreamy, huh?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
Yeah. Calamity Jane grew on me this time, too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 10:58:17 PM »
Yeah. Calamity Jane grew on me this time, too.

It took a second viewing for me to warm up to her as well. I don't know why either, but on my first watch she was a very unsettling character, and not in a good way.

love