0 (0%)
Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance)
0 (0%)
Coffee and Cigarettes
0 (0%)
Confidence
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Best Film of 2003  (Read 18319 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: Best Film of 2003
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
Kill Bill winning this makes me even more sad than Lost in Translation winning.

I agree Lost in Translation is HUGELY overrated. Scarlett Johansen is simply a very bad actress.

Those are fightin' words!!!  Well, Scarlett is a bad actress, now. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
I agree Lost in Translation is HUGELY overrated. Scarlett Johansen is simply a very bad actress.

True, but she looks good when she stares out of windows.

The credits are rolling on Master and Commander, which won't be getting my vote.  It was just alright.  I read the first book, but I don't remember it being so conventional and trope-ridden.  The movie was like Last of the Mohicans stripped of all the really great parts.  Crowe wasn't good, but it looked like maybe a rough shoot for an actor.  I don't know.  I wanted to like it.  I should have seen it in a theater or not at all.  Grade: B-

pixote

Funny, I always think of Last of the Mohicans as Master and Commander stripped of all the good parts.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:38:42 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:44 PM »
1. Finding Nemo
2. Return of The King
3. Kill Bill Vol. 1
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Oldboy

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
The only reason there's no Kill Bill Vol. 1 in the list is because I often see both 1 & 2 as one whole movie.  It will be in the best of 2000s list somewhere. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

The Mighty Celestial

• Wtf?
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »
For me, it looks like this:

10. Seabiscuit, Matchstick Men, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King,  Elf, Old School, Runaway Jury, Identity, Finding Nemo, The Italian Job, Confidence, The School of Rock, The Rundown, Once Upon a Time In Mexico, , The Last Samurai, The Fog of War, 21 Grams - This seemed to be a year where I saw alot of movies (well, alot for me, that is). And while the range for these flix is anywhere between slighty above average to being really good, the fact that I saw this many that weren't below average or less, is what makes me list all these movies as a 16 way tie. Good runs like that rarely come into my life.
Also, I should mention that I realize that some of theses movies are generally regarded at a much higher quality than others that I've posted here, but,
 whenever I make up a list, they are always based more on my personal faves than they are on what is usually considered as "great" by the general movie-viewing populace. And while I usually try to recognize the quality of any well-regarded title, how my personal experiences with a film compares with those of the general opinion has never enhanced my life in any way whatsoever. And therefore I've never placed much importance in those kind of comparisons. I'm only here b'cuz I really like "liking" movies & then talking about 'em afterwards, izzall.

9. The Cooler - I really like William H. Macy and he's one of those actors that seems to make more right decisions that bad when it comes to choosing a part in a film. 
And while it's always cool to see him in any movie, when he's the lead character, it's even cooler.

8. Oldboy - If I ever got together with a bunch of you guys at a like a future Filmspotting meet-up or something, I'm sure that the way I like to drink, that eventually circumstances would evolve to point where I'd get into a huge brawl with you people in which I'd find myself trying to swat you guys away just like famous  battlescene in this flick. And believe me, I've seen probably just as many "action pitchers" as the lead character in Oldboy, that I'm sure I could re-enact the fighting powess in the same manner that he did. Plus, on top of that, I'd be backed by the raw intensity of stubborn determination that usually gets me into trouble whenever I'm plastered up as such.

7. Open Range/ Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Tie.
 After watching so many films, that while on average were pretty good, were still of the standard genres that seem to occupy the majority of screens in theatres these days, these two "period" movies came into my life just when I really needed a good "period" movie shot into my system.

6. Zatoichi - I had heard of this character, but never bothered looking up anything about him.
I stumbled on this DVD, & found myself enjoying it so much, I watched over again like 4 separate times. The movie, just like the series of an earlier time, follows one adventure of the "blind masseuse", a gentle samurai warrior who's lone wolf journeys are the counter-part of the italian "man with no name" spaghetti westerns. Silent, noble & despite his blindness, the ability to see with more clarity, not just the world around him but also the will & intentions contained within the hearts of all men. A great classic character of the Japanese tradition.

5. Bad Santa - Best. Santa. Movie. Ever.

4. The Station Agent - Best. Station. Agent. Movie. Ever.

3. Lost in Translation - Simply put, this is a just a beautiful movie that I  really enjoyed alot. No loss at any translation.

2. Belleville Rendez-vous - Or The Triplets of Belleville, as this movie was introduced to me.
  As an illustrator & cartoonist, I was surprised at how close this flick was to the style of drawing that I usually shoot for. Gritty yet beautifully rendered, cartoonishly exaggerated yet realistically animated. I could look at artwork like this all day.

1. Kill Bill* - You wanna know just how bad-ass Beatrice Kiddo, the Bride really is?
At her wedding, not only does she show up looking like she's late into her trimester of pregnancy, but also at the same time, she has enough balls to wear a wedding dress that is white, the traditional color that is supposed to symbolize virginancy.
So then, the question arises,
how does one stop such an act of blatant abberation towards such an endeared long-standing nuptial tradition?
Try sending her a Bill.

*(I eliminated the "Vol. 1" part , b'cuz I always look at this volume & Vol. 2 as one movie. And if it seems like that's outside the guidelines of these polls, then just wait until the next Filmspotting meet up, come up to me after I've had a few drinks and then feel free to take the issue up with this "oldboy".)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:40:40 AM by The Mighty Celestial »
"Criticism is the laziest form of expression ."

- some deep dude.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »
I've changed my mind - I would rather watch Finding Nemo over Elephant again.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
aw damn. why is Master and Commander back down to 3?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »

I'm surprised it's even that high (and don't get all defensive, I liked it fine).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 09:23:58 AM »

I'm surprised it's even that high (and don't get all defensive, I liked it fine).
Get all defensive because that film sucks. :P

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »

Get all defensive because that film sucks. :P

You are a terrible man Mr. Sex.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love