Author Topic: The Wrestler  (Read 21951 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: The Wrestler
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »
Snubbed.
A$AP Fables

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »
I may not know much about wrestling, but I am an expert when it comes to strippers, and she pulls off the tone and body language perfectly. 

::)

I think you just went up about 100 points in my respecto-meter. ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
I may not know much about wrestling, but I am an expert when it comes to strippers, and she pulls off the tone and body language perfectly. 

::)
I think you just went up about 100 points in my respecto-meter. ;)

Considering where I started, I could only go up.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:12:28 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

kizik

• R.I.P. Laura Palmer
    • kizik's blog
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
I just think pretty much any actress in Hollywood could have done the same thing in that role. Faux friendliness and a fake smile aren't exactly challenging things to pull off.

How dare you.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »
I just think pretty much any actress in Hollywood could have done the same thing in that role. Faux friendliness and a fake smile aren't exactly challenging things to pull off.

Yeah but I'd have to agree with zarodinu.  I can think of plenty of awful stripper performances (by actresses, I'm not going to count actual strippers used in film) and very few convincing ones.  Just look at the list: Demi Moore, Lohan, Portman, etc.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Portman, etc.

Portman was great.

I should say I've not actually seen Closer, but I've seen clips of her as a stripper and I wasn't buying it at all.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »
Portman, etc.

Portman was great.

I should say I've not actually seen Closer, but I've seen clips of her as a stripper and I wasn't buying it at all.

I was. She so sexy.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »
I hate wrestling and never had an ounce of interest in the subject, but the movie made it look very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYFVXgObatg
pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »

Yeah but I'd have to agree with zarodinu.  I can think of plenty of awful stripper performances (by actresses, I'm not going to count actual strippers used in film) and very few convincing ones.  Just look at the list: Demi Moore, Lohan, Portman, etc.

By "pretty much any actress" I was basically referring to "any decently regarded actress," a group I don't think Moore and Lohan belong to (and I have to agree with Clovis that Portman was pretty good in Closer). And I don't really feel that Tomei should get any more credit for pulling off being a stripper than an actor does for pulling off a foreign accent. Does that take skill? Yeah, both take skill. But you don't get a good performance by merely doing a great accent, there's more to it than that. I don't really think Tomei brings that something extra to the role, unlike somebody like Mickey Rourke, who not only nails the wrestling aspect but the full life of the character.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

love