Author Topic: The Wrestler  (Read 21950 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: The Wrestler
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
I think you might be underestimating the willingess of many actresses to commit to that kind of role, especially with the amount of nudity it contained (obviously the Winslets, Julianne Moore, etc. are ok but not most).  After watching the film and reading people talk about her performance, I really think she's being underrated.  Not only does she do the whole stripper thing, but I was even more convinced by her life outside the club.  Her interaction with Rourke while shopping and while he's trying get her to go for a drink were really pretty great.  Now, I haven't seen a lot of the other supporting work that's getting recognition, but I think Tomei is definitely worth of being on a top 5.

Osprey

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »
Just saw this, and liked it.  Rourke was extremely believable, the rest of the movie was a quite standard redemption/ one last score type movie but I thought it was good.  We never find out how he ended up the way he was in the movie, but I assume he made bad decisions and the money might not have been that great at the time anyway...

Anyone else see Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake credited as a consultant?  Was he the Iron Sheik's main rival back in the day?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
Nah, the Iron Sheik had two main rivals, first Bob Backlund and then Hulk Hogan. After Hogan beat him for the WWF title the Iron Sheik's heyday was over and he would spend the rest of his career as the token ethnic bad guy for wrestling like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Junkyard Dog and the like.

Osprey

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
I really liked Brutus Beefcake for some reason, back in the day.  Guess that's something I have in common with Matty.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
Nah, the Iron Sheik had two main rivals, first Bob Backlund and then Hulk Hogan. After Hogan beat him for the WWF title the Iron Sheik's heyday was over and he would spend the rest of his career as the token ethnic bad guy for wrestling like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Junkyard Dog and the like.

I'll always most fondly remember him as Col. Mustafa.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

Man, I really need to stop reading this thread because it's bringing back all my old wrestling memories. I was a hardcore fanatic, I still have about 500 or so tapes, anywhere from 2-8 events per tape, everything from Lucha to old school AWA, WCCW, NWA to Pororesu to the WWWF. I still remember Terry Boulder for crying out loud, if anyone here knows who he eventually became.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
I still remember Terry Boulder for crying out loud, if anyone here knows who he eventually became.

I didn't know, but I guessed right just because Boulder sounded enough like Bollea.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 10:17:09 PM »

Man, I really need to stop reading this thread because it's bringing back all my old wrestling memories. I was a hardcore fanatic, I still have about 500 or so tapes, anywhere from 2-8 events per tape, everything from Lucha to old school AWA, WCCW, NWA to Pororesu to the WWWF. I still remember Terry Boulder for crying out loud, if anyone here knows who he eventually became.

I never saw him under that name but he was definitely right in the center of my main viewing days, and I was always a WWF kid ('88-'94ish and then a few years in the early 2000s).  I was always more partial to Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior.  I actually made copies of the Wrestlemania Anthology set they came out with a few years back.  It's got the entire PPVs, with the between matches stuff and everything, a whole lot of fun.  They've also got a Royal Rumble and Summer Slam set I should check out.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
I can't believe the hacks in the academy have failed to nominate Wrestler for best feature, director, or screenplay.  What a pathetic snub, was it really necessary to nominate Frost/Nixon, Reader, and Benjamin Button for all of these?  If it wasn't for Slumdog, Wall-E, and Bashir, I wouldn't even bother watching.   
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
I can't believe the hacks in the academy have failed to nominate Wrestler for best feature, director, or screenplay.  What a pathetic snub, was it really necessary to nominate Frost/Nixon, Reader, and Benjamin Button for all of these?  If it wasn't for Slumdog, Wall-E, and Bashir, I wouldn't even bother watching.   

You really shouldn't bother watching anyways.  At least record it if you do, so you can zip through it in like 20 min. instead of 4 hrs.