Author Topic: The Wrestler  (Read 13731 times)

NedMeier

• Elite Member
Re: The Wrestler
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
I want to see a Andre the Giant biopic.

It's not supposed to be very good, but...

How can it be bad if it's written and directed by a guy named Rokki James Hollywood and his next film is called Psycho Jesus?

I was thinking the same thing. I have a Rokki James Hollywood poster hanging above my bed.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
Just watched this for the second time last night, and I've re-evaluated some aspects of it. First and foremost, I'm giving Marisa Tomei more credit. I still wouldn't put her in my top 5 list for supporting actresses last year, but she's quite good here and I'm taking back my comment about any actress being able to do her part. On a more negative note, Evan Rachel Wood grated on me a lot more the second time around. I think it was a combination of her overplaying all her scenes (either ramping up the hystrionics or getting all luvey-duvey with Randy, such as the shot of her latching onto his arm) as well as the way Siegel wrote her character full of chiched scorned child dialogue. Also really noticed a lot more of the camera work that was framed as a wrestling match this time around. I took note of the "tunnel shot" at the deli my on first viewing, but I think I notice a lot more shots set up to frame Randy constantly as a wrestler this time. And of course, the ending is just as powerful as I remembered. Overall, I definitely liked it better the second time around, even though I liked it quite a bit the first time.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2009, 02:33:19 AM »
I just watched this for the first time tonight. 

So yeah I can totally see all the praise for Mickey Rourke in this.  I won't get into to it all because it's all been said already.

And this movie wins the prize for having a scene that made me cringe the most I ever had watching a movie (since perhaps seeing "Victory" as a teenager.)

Some little touches I thought were just great.  The Nintendo Game, the ferrets, the catheter.  But other scenes were just a bit much to accept - like the day at the beach and the totally predictable result of "meet you on Saturday".  That kind of thing annoys me.

But overall, what a fascinating look into the the world of hangers on. 

On Tomei's performance.  Ya' know I really wish I hadn't seen Before the Devil Knows You're Dead  before seeing this movie.  She had the role that is one of my top 5 pet peeves in movies:  lie around in bed naked until the protagonist gets home.   So I came out of this thinking crap - same basic concept. 

But reading people's opinions made me appreciate her performance quite a bit more.  One lasting impression I get from her performance is how tired and battered she looks in the club, but how pretty she looks in the outside world. 

I was really relieved that the final match was not nearly as unrelenting as some of the previous ones.  I was bracing myself for some real nastiness.    I guess Aronofsky gets credit for my emotional tenseness!

Overall I'm pretty torn by this.  I had really no interest in this until the Rourke reviews came out.  Even then, I really watched it out of obligation rather than anticipation.  Now that I'm done watching it I'm glad I did, but I'm happy to return it after one viewing and never see it again. 

As Mr. Burns once said "I know what I hate, and I don't hate this".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:35:17 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
Saw this last weekend and was moved by both Rourke and Tomei - I though she was excellent at playing the aloof stripper card to a T and Rourke just captured a guy who fights to be something more but in the end, sadly accepts his fate - driving away one more person...

I like to think that Tomei pulls him out of his spiral after the film's end - but I know she won't...
Hey, nice marmot!

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »
Saw this last weekend and was moved by both Rourke and Tomei - I though she was excellent at playing the aloof stripper card to a T and Rourke just captured a guy who fights to be something more but in the end, sadly accepts his fate - driving away one more person...

I like to think that Tomei pulls him out of his spiral after the film's end - but I know she won't...

That's generous. I thought he wasn't going to make it out of the ring alive.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »
He's dead, big time. But don't worry he'll be resurrected on Easter. The wrestling version of Easter being WrestleMania XXVI.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Is there a special place between heaven and hell (a la purgatory or limbo) for characters who have abiguous screen deaths?  I can see Micky Rourke, Kelly Macdonald and Boba Fett are  sippling Mai Tais together in some parallel universe somewhere waiting for news on their promotions.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »
Boba Fett lived on in the belly of the Sarlacc. It's covered in the Mandalorian Armor trilogy of books (which were pretty good, I think).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Is there a special place between heaven and hell (a la purgatory or limbo) for characters who have abiguous screen deaths?  I can see Micky Rourke, Kelly Macdonald and Boba Fett are  sippling Mai Tais together in some parallel universe somewhere waiting for news on their promotions.
According to the book, Kelly Macdonald is a whole lot less ambiguous. One of the reasons I liked the movie more.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »
According to the book, Kelly Macdonald is a whole lot less ambiguous. One of the reasons I liked the movie more.

I don't think it was ambiguous in the movie. The Coens tell you everything you need to know whether she lives or dies.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)