Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 6479 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
Okay, so I'm surprised to see no Twin Peaks Revival thoughts here. I'm seven episodes in and loving it. It's so crazy they let Lynch/Frost go crazy with this show. It's like nothing else on TV, much like the original show. I was worried revisiting old characters would somehow be cheap or overly-sentimental, but so far it all works.

I will say that I feel like Lynch is absolutely dogging on the last 25 years of television with all these jabs at popular trends in TV such as cliffhanger endings, people giving grandiose monologues, and overblown relational dramas. I haven't read about it anywhere else, but I wonder if people realize how much Lynch seems to just be railing into how cliché and boring TV is, even prestige TV.

It seems someone else had this view so I wonder if others feel the same or if people are not really in on the joke given how the people lauding it are the same people who love the prestige TV Lynch is absolutely ragging on with this show. I also see some takes that look similar but all of them seem to have spoiler warnings so I'm avoiding them until I finish the show.

I feel like I'm probably the person who has the most general apathy for this surge of prestige TV in the past 10 years. Twin Peaks Revival feels like it's mocking those shows and I'm so happy because I'm just tired of being told how prestige TV is the greatest thing ever and how there's this new show I need to watch that is going to have some heavy-handed moralizing or overacted dramatic scenes or some super clever twists and turns.

I feel like Lynch has those same feelings where he wants to just get a megaphone and shout from the roof "CINECAST! Breaking Bad." I don't even hate that show, I'm just sick of people talking about how great it is. I thought it was entertaining and got people to take TV more seriously. I watched the show as the season hit Bluray, but I never had any delusions I was watching anything more than a very basic morality play stretched across five seasons with some super bonkers and absurd leaps of faith the longer it went on.

I just love how much fun Lynch/Frost are having here and honestly can't believe Showtime just let them loose like this.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
Wait until the next episode...
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
I just watched episode eight. Feel like that solidifies my opinion and then some. After seeing that, it's so weird people want to consider it a film. I feel like so much of what Lynch is doing is playing with the structure and expectations of what television is and what it can be. Just because we associate some of the ideas and imagery with arthouse film doesn't deny you can drop this stuff into TV. But he knows that's a mind-blowing notion to TV viewers so he literally drops the bomb.

MASSIVE EDIT:

I hope this doesn't come off as me being a jerk, but there's such a blatant literalism to the symbolism of the bomb dropping that I'm confused by people who miss in context that Lynch/Frost know that what they are about to unleash will live this radical mark on television. I just feel like I've watched the most important episode of TV I'm ever going to see in my lifetime.

They knew what they were doing, they knew it would get an atomic reaction and be divisive, but boy does it seem like people who are immersed in modern media culture really missed them dropping the bomb on the medium of television by trying to "elevate" it to film status. It only works so effectively because it aired on television! It's so radical because it's working in this framework and they blow the entire framework and structure apart!

Maybe it's some weird form of coping with the fact that this episode doesn't fit into the confines of what we consider television to be. It's a paradigm shift, it's medium-changing. It makes the last decade of television look tame and safe by comparison. This is the most excited I've felt after watching and episode of television in my life!  That's the kind of thing I want from my television! I feel like this is the TV moment I've wanted for years but just couldn't put into words.

I know this all sounds a bit crazy coming from me. I'm still taking my meds, I'm not about to do something crazy, it's just I got sucker-punched by a TV show after years of thinking I would dabble in the medium for the rest of my life. I dunno what TV is going to look like after this, maybe this will just be a fluke, but damn if people start making more TV this out there, I'm in. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:48:24 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
This is the most excited I've felt after watching and episode of television in my life!  That's the kind of thing I want from my television! I feel like this is the TV moment I've wanted for years but just couldn't put into words.

Yep :)

For me, in 2017 there was Twin Peaks: The Return and then everything else.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
I didn't see this thread, but there are a couple of pages of thoughts starting here. Nothing that's a deep think piece like you've done, and for that I salute you. The series was easily one of the viewing highlights of the year, but I would need a good long time and multiple rewatches to begin getting into what it was doing. I most enjoyed just letting the unfiltered Lynch Frost wash over me.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:55 PM »
Lynch is definitely doing unconventional television, but I don't think that he's mocking television conventions. I don't see any evidence that he's "ragging" on "prestige TV". Although... the original series was, in a way, a send-up of the primetime soaps of its day. Still, I didn't get any of kind of parody vibe from The Return. I think it's more a case Lynch doing things the way that feels right to him.

Episode 8 was a friggin' masterpiece. I had a few issues with the series (Dougie overload) but I'm really looking forward to watching that episode again.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Would it make any sense to watch episode 8 without having seen anything else? I have a general idea of Twin Peaks, but I never made it through the pilot (of the old series).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
I'd say no mostly because you'll have no sense of how the ideas and images are all in the context of this cosmic horror reality Lynch and Frost slowly built over the original series abs movie so it'll feel like utter nonsense.

I say that but I think even people who enjoyed the original show might feel that way about it. It's a moment of TV where so much is conveyed with minimal dialogue.