love

Poll

Which is your favourite film from this year?

Into The Wild
5 (10.2%)
The Counterfeiters
0 (0%)
Gone Baby Gone
2 (4.1%)
Juno
0 (0%)
Michael Clayton
0 (0%)
Shooter
0 (0%)
Stardust
0 (0%)
I Am Legend
0 (0%)
Superbad
0 (0%)
The Man From Earth
0 (0%)
No End In Sight
0 (0%)
We Own The Night
0 (0%)
28 Weeks Later
0 (0%)
Ocean's Thirteen
0 (0%)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
0 (0%)
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
0 (0%)
The Mist
0 (0%)
The Band's Visit
0 (0%)
The Class
0 (0%)
Shoot 'Em Up
0 (0%)
Transformers
0 (0%)
In The Shadow of the Moon
0 (0%)
Atonement
1 (2%)
Encounters at the End of the World
0 (0%)
The Bourne Ultimatum
0 (0%)
Taxi to the Dark Side
0 (0%)
Zodiac
2 (4.1%)
In The Valley of Elah
0 (0%)
Death At a Funeral
0 (0%)
No Country For Old Men
15 (30.6%)
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
0 (0%)
The Edge of Heaven
0 (0%)
Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0)
0 (0%)
Persopolis
0 (0%)
Boy A
0 (0%)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
0 (0%)
Sunshine
0 (0%)
Hot Fuzz
0 (0%)
The Elite Squad
0 (0%)
Eastern Promises
1 (2%)
La Vie en Rose
0 (0%)
3:10 to Yuma
0 (0%)
Disturbia
0 (0%)
Ratatouille
1 (2%)
American Gangster
0 (0%)
Ben X
0 (0%)
El Orfanato (The Orphanage0
0 (0%)
Grindhouse
0 (0%)
Death Proof
0 (0%)
Planet Terror
0 (0%)
There Will Be Blood
12 (24.5%)
Across The Universe
0 (0%)
Sigur Ros - Heima
0 (0%)
Enchanted
0 (0%)
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
3 (6.1%)
0 (0%)
The Simpsons Movie
0 (0%)
Control
0 (0%)
30 Days of Night
0 (0%)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
0 (0%)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
0 (0%)
The Visitor
0 (0%)
Hairspray
0 (0%)
The Lookout
0 (0%)
Knocked Up
0 (0%)
Reign Over Me
0 (0%)
Mr Brooks
0 (0%)
[Rec]
0 (0%)
The Kingdom
0 (0%)
Breach
0 (0%)
Sicko
1 (2%)
Lars and the Real Girl
0 (0%)
The Darjeeling Limited
0 (0%)
Charlie Wilson's War
0 (0%)
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
0 (0%)
Dan In Real Life
0 (0%)
Bridge To Terabithia
0 (0%)
Run Fatboy Run
0 (0%)
Young at Heart
0 (0%)
The Kite Runner
0 (0%)
Lust, Caution
0 (0%)
I'm Not There
4 (8.2%)
Once
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Best Film of 2007  (Read 15766 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Best Film of 2007
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
10. Persepolis
9.  The Mist
8.  There Will Be Blood
7.  Hot Fuzz
6.  Sunshine
5.  The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
4.  No Country for Old Men
3.  The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
2.  12 - Best 2007 movie nobody saw
1.  4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »
Hot Fuzz above There Will Be Blood. Nice.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
Added I'm Not There.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »
This is the big one. I have three options for what to vote for, so I shall list my three Top 5s prior to deciding. First here are, in my opinion, the best films from a technical stand point to be released two years ago. I also am not going to count Paranoid Park as a 2007 release because that would throw these lists off considerably.

1. There Will Be Blood
2. I'm Not There
3. No Country for Old Men
4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
5. Once

Here are my personal favorite five films from last year.

1. I'm Not There
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
4. Once
5. Paprika

And for seeing on a big screen and in a theatre I would go like this.

1. Grindhouse (I've never had a better theatre going experience than opening night of Grindhouse, the last possible show that evening, from like 10 until 1. It was incredible from start to finish)
2. I'm Not There
3. Paprika
4. There Will Be Blood
5. Sweeney Todd

I also haven't seen Jesse James. For all intents and purposes I'd say it's a toss up between I'm Not There and There Will Be Blood, but I knew that anyway. I'm Not There never fell below 2, but There Will Be Blood holds that top spot on the technical accomplishment and likely future importance, and the poll does ask for best, but I've only seen There Will Be Blood three times total, once on DVD and twice in the theatre, whereas I saw I'm Not There opening night at the movies and have watched it once just about every other month since the first week it was released on DVD. I think I'm going to vote for I'm Not There.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 06:53:16 PM »
5. GRINDHOUSE
Want to know the difference between a film critic and a film geek? Look at their Top 10 list and see if they mention GRINDHOUSE. I’m a geek, so I’ll repeat what my fellow ilk all said…GRINDHOUSE, for all its faults, was the most enjoyable movie going experience all year. This double shot of self-conscious cool exhibited a pure love of filmmaking and style, with inside jokes galore and many over the top thrills.

First up was Robert Rodriguez’s PLANET TERROR, which I thought was critic proof since it was homage to movies that were so bad you couldn’t look away. It wasn’t as artistic as Tarantino’s DEATH PROOF, but it was a hell of a lot more fun. PROOF, while overly talky, featured one of Kurt Russell’s best performances, an unforgettable car crash, and a dangerous chase featuring stunt woman Zoe Bell hanging on for life OUTSIDE the car.

Then there are the trailers. I own both DVD’s, but the wonderful, hilarious trailers are what really tied the whole experience up with a big bloody bow. It was a wonderful night at the movies. Too bad, it’ll never happen again in my lifetime.

4. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
The film was absolutely perfect for so long, and the Coen Brothers were making perfection look so easy. Then it makes a sudden left turn at the end, going mythic and leaving many a dissatisfied audience in its wake. I complained too. I get what they’re going for and I really like what the film has to say, but I can’t help wondering if there was a better way to get there.

Setting that aside, I reflect back on moments like the scuff marks of the struggling policeman, keys jingling in a truck ignition, an uncrimping wrapper (“Call it…Frend-o”), many great hotel confrontations, and that damn persistent dog. To think, this modern classic involves little more than two men and a bag of money. Yet within that framework much is said about the desperate and harsh world we live in. FARGO with a pitch-black heart.

3. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Unlike most modern movies, the style isn’t a tribute to films of a bygone era. Writer/Director PT Anderson has crafted a bold, grand epic that’s right in line with similar classics. His partnership with Daniel Day-Lewis is a grand tango, with partners free to exhibit their full potential. The gonzo finale redefines swinging for the fences, but while it clashes with the rest of the film, it’s marvelous by itself.  Like the classics of Stanley Kubrick, the film is slow, but mesmerizing and tense from the first frame to the final line.

2. RATATOUILLE
Having finished THE INCREDIBLES, Brad Bird was on his way out the Pixar door for a long overdue vacation. John Lasseter, however, was in trouble. Their film RATS was set to come out in only 18 months (computer animation takes 4-5 years), and they haven’t been able to solve numerous story problems. Lasseter convinced Bird to take over. He rewrote the script and crafted this wonderful, wonderful film that’s both popular entertainment and an artistic triumph.

Brad Bird is a creative genius, and one of the films greatest strengths is the looks given by the characters both rat and human. Like previous Pixar films, RATATOUILLE selects voices over stars, and artistry over jokes. There are some tough sells in the story, but it’s handled with grace and the proper care. Everything looks dreamy, from the food to the wide views of Paris at night, and while there’s an abundance of cartoon humor (“Stop that health inspector!”), this is a film adults will probably enjoy even more. I don’t know if there’s ever been a more sophisticated animated film made in this country (at the time). Special mention to that first bite of ratatouille, a great moment in cinema history.

1. HOT FUZZ
I was all ready to move HOT FUZZ out of my #1 slot. I thought there just had to be a more respectable selection. Then I watched it again and decided I had to go with what felt right. HOT FUZZ isn’t as well directed or acted or written as other films in my Top 10, but it is the most satisfying. Other films this year hit the bulls eye, but HOT FUZZ pulls a Robin Hood and splits the arrow.

As a film watcher, HOT FUZZ is both a very entertaining take on American action movies as well as a terrific action movie of its own with a solid plot and some great twists. The revelation of the killer took me completely by surprise (along with a slight giggle over what was going to happen next). As a film geek, I love the skill at work. The editing and sound are some of the best this year, and the film moves effortlessly between genres, incorporating humor both silly and sophisticated and horror, both scary and grandly grotesque.
Everything this film set out to do just worked, and the cast masterfully bounced with glee from jokey scenes to moments of real menace. They’re obviously having a ball making a kind of balls out American action film, while still maintaining their British reserve. So while other films this year are more important or more ambitious, HOT FUZZ is a cinematic multi-vitamin, delivering all the essentials. The Best Film of 2007.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »
What an awesome year, definitely in my top 10. Kinda makes me wonder if we're all unfairly bashing 2008, it might just look bad in comparison to 2007.

Went with No Country for Old Men, but other strong contenders were (in no particular order) There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, Michael Clayton, Sweeney Todd and The Bourne Ultimatum.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »
What an awesome year, definitely in my top 10. Kinda makes me wonder if we're all unfairly bashing 2008, it might just look bad in comparison to 2007.

Went with No Country for Old Men, but other strong contenders were (in no particular order) There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, Michael Clayton, Sweeney Todd and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Last year (2007) I knew there were two films that stood so far above and beyond any other movies released that year (I'm Not There and There Will Be Blood), but this year, despite not having any A+ films, had so many more high quality films that I'd call 2008 an all around better year than 2007.

I stand by that statement.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
No Country For Old Men

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:50:38 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”