Poll

Which is your favourite film from this year?

Into The Wild
5 (10.2%)
The Counterfeiters
0 (0%)
Gone Baby Gone
2 (4.1%)
Juno
0 (0%)
Michael Clayton
0 (0%)
Shooter
0 (0%)
Stardust
0 (0%)
I Am Legend
0 (0%)
Superbad
0 (0%)
The Man From Earth
0 (0%)
No End In Sight
0 (0%)
We Own The Night
0 (0%)
28 Weeks Later
0 (0%)
Ocean's Thirteen
0 (0%)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
0 (0%)
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
0 (0%)
The Mist
0 (0%)
The Band's Visit
0 (0%)
The Class
0 (0%)
Shoot 'Em Up
0 (0%)
Transformers
0 (0%)
In The Shadow of the Moon
0 (0%)
Atonement
1 (2%)
Encounters at the End of the World
0 (0%)
The Bourne Ultimatum
0 (0%)
Taxi to the Dark Side
0 (0%)
Zodiac
2 (4.1%)
In The Valley of Elah
0 (0%)
Death At a Funeral
0 (0%)
No Country For Old Men
15 (30.6%)
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
0 (0%)
The Edge of Heaven
0 (0%)
Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0)
0 (0%)
Persopolis
0 (0%)
Boy A
0 (0%)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
0 (0%)
Sunshine
0 (0%)
Hot Fuzz
0 (0%)
The Elite Squad
0 (0%)
Eastern Promises
1 (2%)
La Vie en Rose
0 (0%)
3:10 to Yuma
0 (0%)
Disturbia
0 (0%)
Ratatouille
1 (2%)
American Gangster
0 (0%)
Ben X
0 (0%)
El Orfanato (The Orphanage0
0 (0%)
Grindhouse
0 (0%)
Death Proof
0 (0%)
Planet Terror
0 (0%)
There Will Be Blood
12 (24.5%)
Across The Universe
0 (0%)
Sigur Ros - Heima
0 (0%)
Enchanted
0 (0%)
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
3 (6.1%)
0 (0%)
The Simpsons Movie
0 (0%)
Control
0 (0%)
30 Days of Night
0 (0%)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
0 (0%)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
0 (0%)
The Visitor
0 (0%)
Hairspray
0 (0%)
The Lookout
0 (0%)
Knocked Up
0 (0%)
Reign Over Me
0 (0%)
Mr Brooks
0 (0%)
[Rec]
0 (0%)
The Kingdom
0 (0%)
Breach
0 (0%)
Sicko
1 (2%)
Lars and the Real Girl
0 (0%)
The Darjeeling Limited
0 (0%)
Charlie Wilson's War
0 (0%)
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
0 (0%)
Dan In Real Life
0 (0%)
Bridge To Terabithia
0 (0%)
Run Fatboy Run
0 (0%)
Young at Heart
0 (0%)
The Kite Runner
0 (0%)
Lust, Caution
0 (0%)
I'm Not There
4 (8.2%)
Once
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Best Film of 2007  (Read 15767 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Best Film of 2007
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »
1. The Man from London
2. The Sun Also Rises
3. You, the Living
4. Once
5. Things We Do When We Fall in Love

Honorable: Hot Fuzz, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, Lynch, There Will Be Blood, Waiting for Love, Help Me Eros, Joy Division, My Kid Could Paint That, Nanking, The Secret Of The Grain, Stranded, The Counterfeiters, The King of Kong, A Gentle Breeze in the Village, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Persepolis

Hot Biscuit Slim

• BillShannon @ Letterboxd
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
I thought '07 was a relatively weak year, but had a handful of VERY good movies. For me, the populist fare of '07 was, by and large, more successful than the "prestige" films that came out.

• The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
  • There Will Be Blood
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Michael Clayton
  • Zodiac
  • Manufacturing Dissent: Uncovering Michael Moore
  • The Savages
  • 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
  • Ocean's Thirteen

To be fair, I just went though my IMDB.com/List search for 2007 and there is a huge number of films I haven't actually seen yet that I should have.

In case you care, the ones I noted that I haven't seen are: 28 Weeks Later; 3:10 to Yuma; Across the Universe; The Assassination of Jesse James...; Beowulf; Chaos Theory; Chop Shop; City of Men; Darling; Death Proof; Eagle vs. Shark; Elite Squad; Flight of the Red Balloon; Funny Games; Grindhouse; I'm Not There; In the Shadow of the Moon; In Search of a Midnight Kiss; Into the Wild; King Corn; The Kite Runner; La Vie En Rose; Lars and the Real Girl; Love in the Time of Cholera; My Blueberry Nights; My Kid Could Paint That; Once; Planet Terror; Sunshine; Sweeney Todd; Taxi to the Dark Side;The Visitor; Towelhead; Up the Yangtze; White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; XXY. I was going through a depression of sorts that year and was a woefully inept cinephile; still, no excuse. Any recommendations (or "skip its") from this list would be more than welcome.
<hBs>

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
In case you care, the ones I noted that I haven't seen are: 28 Weeks Later; 3:10 to Yuma; Across the Universe; The Assassination of Jesse James...; Beowulf; Chaos Theory; Chop Shop; City of Men; Darling; Death Proof; Eagle vs. Shark; Elite Squad; Flight of the Red Balloon; Funny Games; Grindhouse; I'm Not There; In the Shadow of the Moon; In Search of a Midnight Kiss; Into the Wild; King Corn; The Kite Runner; La Vie En Rose; Lars and the Real Girl; Love in the Time of Cholera; My Blueberry Nights; My Kid Could Paint That; Once; Planet Terror; Sunshine; Sweeney Todd; Taxi to the Dark Side;The Visitor; Towelhead; Up the Yangtze; White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; XXY. I was going through a depression of sorts that year and was a woefully inept cinephile; still, no excuse. Any recommendations (or "skip its") from this list would be more than welcome.

My take:

Grindhouse/Planet Terror/Death Proof - I liked the Rodriguez half as a goofy lark, found Tarantino's half very tiresome
Funny Games - haven't seen the 2007 remake, but the original is great
Into the Wild - s'okay
My Blueberry Nights - skip it
My Kid Could Paint That - pretty good
Once - see my list above

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »
I thought '07 was a relatively weak year, but had a handful of VERY good movies. For me, the populist fare of '07 was, by and large, more successful than the "prestige" films that came out.

Thank you for proving my point. Everybody else, please remember this monumental post when talking about weak years for film. Everybody thinks everything is weak.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
The Assassination of Jesse James; Chop Shop;  Flight of the Red Balloon;  I'm Not There;  Lars and the Real Girl;  Once;  Sunshine; The Visitor;  Up the Yangtze. . .  Any recommendations (or "skip its") from this list would be more than welcome.
I can recommend those ones!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
Sweeney Todd, TWBB, I'm Not There, Chop Shop, Hot Fuzz, Superbad, Funny Games (US), Grindhouse, The Diving Bell, and Once are some of the best films ever made. Most of those are Top 50 material.

Hot Biscuit Slim

• BillShannon @ Letterboxd
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

Thank you for proving my point. Everybody else, please remember this monumental post when talking about weak years for film. Everybody thinks everything is weak.

Not exactly sure what this means. I definitely don't think "everything is weak" by any stretch. I personally think '74, '76, '89, '94-'98, '01 and '04 (to name a few off the top of my head) were very strong years for films. I went through the list of 2007 films that I saw that were mediocre crap, whereas a lot of the films I see in any given year are less mediocre and less crappy. I found a high number of disappointing films for '07, more than usual, that's all.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. And a couple of the ones you all mentioned, I have seen, but didn't put in my top ten. I won't mention which ones they are so nobody gets pissed off at me.  :-X
<hBs>

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

Not exactly sure what this means. I definitely don't think "everything is weak" by any stretch. I personally think '74, '76, '89, '94-'98, '01 and '04 (to name a few off the top of my head) were very strong years for films. I went through the list of 2007 films that I saw that were mediocre crap, whereas a lot of the films I see in any given year are less mediocre and less crappy. I found a high number of disappointing films for '07, more than usual, that's all.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. And a couple of the ones you all mentioned, I have seen, but didn't put in my top ten. I won't mention which ones they are so nobody gets pissed off at me.  :-X

It means that there's always somebody who thinks that a certain year is "weak" for film. 2007 is generally well received in the world of cinema but you call it weak. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the rhetoric of our little community.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Totoro

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:58 AM »
I consider 4 Months to be 2008

1- Ratatouille
2- I'm Not There
3- No End in Sight
4- No Country for Old Men
5- There Will Be Blood

6- The Bourne Ultimatum
7- Once
8- Superbad
9- The Darjeeling Limited
10- The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Honorable Mentions: The Class, Shoot Em Up, Hot Fuzz, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Control, 3:10 to Yuma, Hairspray, The Diving Bell & the Butterfly, Grindhouse, Lars and the Real Girl, & Lust, Caution

FANTASTIC YEAR.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
Top 5:

5. LOOK
4. TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE
3. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
2. CRAZY LOVE
1. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES [...]

Honorable mentions: ALPHA DOG, BOMB IT, CONTROL, THE DIVING BELL & THE BUTTERFLY, EASTERN PROMISES, THE GRAND, INTO THE WILD, KING CORN, THE KING OF KONG, MANDA BALA, MARGOT AT THE WEDDING, MR. UNTOUCHABLE, MY KID COULD PAINT THAT, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, NO END IN SIGHT, OBSCENE, OPERATION FILMMAKER, QUIET CITY, REDACTED, SICKO, TERROR'S ADVOCATE, THE UNION, A VERY BRITISH GANGSTER, WALK HARD, WE OWN THE NIGHT, YPF, ZODIAC

FANTASTIC YEAR.
Especially for docs!

Bottom 5:

5. 30 DAYS OF NIGHT
4. THE LAST LEGION
3. HITMAN
2. THE BROTHERS SOLOMON
1. SLIPSTREAM

Dishonorable mentions: 300, BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE, CHARLIE BARTLETT, FIRST SNOW, LARS & THE REAL GIRL, THE GO-GETTER, GOOD TIME MAX, OCEAN'S THIRTEEN, PLANET TERROR, SUPERBAD, WRISTCUTTERS

love