Author Topic: #243: Waltz With Bashir / AYM Marathon #2 / Top 5 Hope and Change Movies  (Read 15748 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: #243: Waltz With Bashir / AYM Marathon #2 / Top 5 Hope and Change Movies
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
and to claim that this is an increasing "trend" in troubling the documentary with footage that is not actual is not quite right either, the field was essentially born with Nanook - all recreations and stagings (for a fur ad) :)
I certainly wasn't suggesting this... just in case there is any confusion on that.

listening back, i got it from you saying "blurring the lines of documentary and narrative here, and we've seen that line getting blurred more and more as time goes on, i don't even know how this movie can be considered a documentary...none of the footage is real"

perhaps my initial understanding wasn't right on but it is still unclear to me what you meant as you seem to say there is some new trend of documentary being less "documentary-like"
No, not a new trend... hey, I studied Nanook of the North in film school too... just that the line continues to get blurred in interesting ways, and yes, probably "more and more" recently... people experimenting with and deliberately blurring those lines vs. filmmakers like Flaherty who weren't responding to what came before.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: #243: Waltz With Bashir / AYM Marathon #2 / Top 5 Hope and Change Movies
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2009, 04:30:55 AM »
and to claim that this is an increasing "trend" in troubling the documentary with footage that is not actual is not quite right either, the field was essentially born with Nanook - all recreations and stagings (for a fur ad) :)
I certainly wasn't suggesting this... just in case there is any confusion on that.

listening back, i got it from you saying "blurring the lines of documentary and narrative here, and we've seen that line getting blurred more and more as time goes on, i don't even know how this movie can be considered a documentary...none of the footage is real"

perhaps my initial understanding wasn't right on but it is still unclear to me what you meant as you seem to say there is some new trend of documentary being less "documentary-like"
No, not a new trend... hey, I studied Nanook of the North in film school too... just that the line continues to get blurred in interesting ways, and yes, probably "more and more" recently... people experimenting with and deliberately blurring those lines vs. filmmakers like Flaherty who weren't responding to what came before.

it seems you contradict yourself here a bit.  anyway, not so sure i'd agree that the line is more blurred or blurred more interestingly of late.  what would you base this on?  i'd prolly say the 60s-70s was the era when documentary conventions were played with much more - verite, impact of feminist film theory, boom in experimental cinema.  more recently (referring to her work of 84 and 97 that i know) i think Godmilow has done good stuff to test documentary, and i have faith that Minh-ha has, though i have yet to experience any of her work
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Yeah, Waltz With Bashir is probably my new favorite of 08, after some thought.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate

Join the club.  Sita is my favorite of 09, cartoons are making a comeback.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome

Join the club.  Sita is my favorite of 09, cartoons are making a comeback.

*sigh* this sita love went right over my head.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love