Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Final Resurrection  (Read 38658 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1990s US Bracket: Final Resurrection
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2009, 06:26:24 PM »
But really, of all the bizarre things in this bracket, this is fairly low on the list.

w00t!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
I pretty much wrote off Hal Hartley after seeing Henry Fool. Maybe I'll have to give him a second chance.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
Heh.  If more people who hate Hal Hartley films had watched more Hal Hartley films, Unforgiven would still be alive!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
Seriously, wtf! I have never heard of single movie Hal Hartley has directed! How can this black hole exist in my movie knowledge?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I first heard of Hal Hartley through the forums.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »
Heh.  If more people who hate Hal Hartley films had watched more Hal Hartley films, Unforgiven would still be alive!

Oh what a bitter truth!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
i just got home to this!!!!?  damn, i missed a fun one!  i gotta say this is a seriously fun and whack system - pix, you rock!  looking forward to checking Trust out again.  now i have to ferret out whether the new pairs are announced....
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Ugh.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »
I think there's merit in a film having been seen.  And also that a film is more likely to be better if more people have seen it and deemed it great.

I don't think that "more likely" part is accurate, from a probabilty standpoint.  In the limited data we have, both films are just about equally well liked.  Let's say that the current data suggests that 80% of Filmspotter viewers each film great.  The larger sample size of Unforgiven viewers yields a smaller margin of error in projecting how future viewers will feel about the film.  Just to make up a number, let's say ±2%.  Conversely, the smaller data set for Trust viewers leads to a higher margin of error in a projection.  Let's say ±7%.  So, if a hundred Filmspotters watched both films, the range of them that would probably see greatness in Unforgiven would fall between 78% and 82%, whereas the likely range for Trust would be between 73% and 87%.  Yes, Trust has the bigger potential drop, but it also the bigger potential gain — and one is just as likely as the other.  The plus scenario has the same probability as the minus scenario in the plus-minus confidence of a poll.

All of that is to say that Unforgiven is equally likely (not more likely) to be deemed great by a new viewer as Trust.  But Trust has the slight edge in the actual data, which is why it advanced.

Caveat: I made all that up.  And I know some of it is wrong.  But hopefully it still sounded good.  :)

pixote
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:52:38 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
can you speak more towards power ratios (are we trying to prove equivalency? superiority? non-inferiority?) and the null hypothesis?

love