Author Topic: Feb MDC write-ups: Documentary  (Read 29546 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Feb MDC write-ups: Documentary
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »
All this talk of Hoop Dreams has me ready to post a reflection on it, I guess...

Hoop Dreams - I have come to understand that this documentary carries a ton of weight around these boards, and going over previous reviews elsewhere it seems to critically carry a load of high opinion as well. The film is the welcoming bell for the resurgence and recent Golden Age of newer documentaries, it is one of those films that tackles so many issues that it can be compared with many modern and classic cinema epics, and it is filmed with great care and beautiful style. I can agree with the majority of that, the film does so much right as a documentary that it is hard to fault it, so many techniques seen here have made appearances in other documentaries that I have seen this past year and from years after this film was released, granted that number is not incredibly high, but still, the influence that this film has clearly had on the medium is noticeable, for the better, and commands a good deal of respect. Sure there are talking head portions, but they feel like something more, allowing the viewer to get close to these people and understand the problems they are going to encounter while still remaining in the position of observer. Hell, it even works on an emotional level, relying on the viewer to pull for William and Arthur despite the two just being common children who do not directly play a role in most audiences's mind. It does tackle a various number of social topics too, ranging from the high school experience, the dirty manner in which sports operate even from such a young age, and the class issue in the country. These are heavy topics to cover, and to imagine that the filmmaker could hit them all in a film following two boys playing basketball in high school for four years is incredibly impressive. And then there is the style with which the film is shot, a roving camera that conveys the beauty of the sport along with the harsh reality these children and their families face, even that surgery scene had me both engaged and horrified. A ton is done right with this film and I can understand why it is considered so great and such an important film.

However, it is far from flawless and for everything great the film does at least one aspect is handled with little care and does not work. While the film does tackle a great number of subject in the hefty three hour run time, very few seem to be fully explored and would have benefited with, and I know this sounds hypocritical, a bit more time. Both Arthur and William were captivating figures and I was glad to spend time with them, I never minded watching them on screen and the film seemed to flash by when they were on there, which was great, I would have taken more of that. Still, the filmmaker seemed to scratch the surface of so much without ever going too deep on any particular issue that I found myself only gaining surface knowledge of most of what the film was talking about rather than being able to explore the corruption fully, or the high school experience, or the family turmoil, or anything really. Even that thing between Arthur and Shannon and William's problems with the coach in regard to his family, as well as the problems he had with his own father, were only mentioned shortly. The film also felt very constructed at times and the natural feeling was displaced, particularly later when William and Arthur reunited in their senior year. I guess they could kind of relate to each other, but they never were seen interacting as freshman so the idea that one had any sort of investment beyond passable interest in the other was unbelievable and unnecessary. Oh, and that voice over thing during the games, it was painful and detracted from some great sequences. The film was capable of speaking on its own, no voice over was needed.  There is a lot of good, there is a lot of bad, and I guess I can agree with the film's importance, but it is far from flawless. And that music that started playing during the credits seemed like it would fit better in one of those late night HBO movies rather than this documentary. Still, I am glad I got a chance to watch the film, it drew me in emotionally and given how detached I am from the basic premise that is impressive in itself, but the film has power far beyond that, and that is great stuff too, but it either needed to be more compact and to the point or longer to give the needed attention to everything the filmmaker attempts to tackle.

B-/B or 3.662134953201532

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
I didn't read it yet, but I already think you're crazy.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »

To be fair, did I need to post this for you to think that?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »

Nope. Your avatar and general opinions on things had me believing that long ago. Nice write-up though.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

Nope. Your avatar and general opinions on things had me believing that long ago. Nice write-up though.

Well thank you kindly sir, on all three sentences and implications.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
The film also felt very constructed at times and the natural feeling was displaced, particularly later when William and Arthur reunited in their senior year. I guess they could kind of relate to each other, but they never were seen interacting as freshman so the idea that one had any sort of investment beyond passable interest in the other was unbelievable and unnecessary.

They kept their friendship a secret from the filmmakers.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 02:48:12 AM »
The film also felt very constructed at times and the natural feeling was displaced, particularly later when William and Arthur reunited in their senior year. I guess they could kind of relate to each other, but they never were seen interacting as freshman so the idea that one had any sort of investment beyond passable interest in the other was unbelievable and unnecessary.

pixote

Really? I gotta get myself that Criterion edition.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »

pixote

Really? I gotta get myself that Criterion edition.

I guess that makes sense, though they also kept it a pretty good secret from the audience too, either way the film made it seem unrealistic.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »

That film sounds very good. You're quite lucky to have been dictated several movies.

you are lucky, too!  i dictate thee La hora de los hornos.  also very good :)

do it! do it!  do it!  (are you gonna do it?)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:03 PM »
So, I may get my second dictation done this weekend, Jonas Brothers comes out this weekend.

love