love

Author Topic: What Should I Read?  (Read 60079 times)

Marbe

• Elite Member
Re: What Should I Read?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »
It's my Spring Break and I am sick at home, I really need to read something deeply romantic and entertaining, I just got done with Rebecca and Anna Karenina, so something written more recently would be great, and ideas?

Try Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series.  Outlander is the first book.  It's not a romance novel, but it is a romantic novel.  It's not high-brow, but certainly holds its own in the romantic novel field.  I've read the series 3 times.  Loved it every time.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
I really need to read something deeply romantic and entertaining

Have you already read Love in the Time of Cholera?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I really need to read something deeply romantic and entertaining

Have you already read Love in the Time of Cholera?

pixote

I like this suggestion a LOT.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
Or Atonement?

Or for lighter fare, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
Or At Swim, Two Boys.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
Isabel Allende's The House of Spirits is worth a read, too.
Texan Down Under

bb6634

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
It's my Spring Break and I am sick at home, I really need to read something deeply romantic and entertaining, I just got done with Rebecca and Anna Karenina, so something written more recently would be great, and ideas?

Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  One of my favorite books.  Romantic, heartbreaking, wonky, head-trippy. 

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »

Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  One of my favorite books.  Romantic, heartbreaking, wonky, head-trippy. 

I just finished this. Great book. Read it before it gets ruined by this
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
Has anyone read Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose?  I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite books ever.  Not that I've ever read it.  Or even own it.  But I glanced through it the last two times I was in the used book store, and it just seems like the kind of book I would love.

pixote

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Has anyone read Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose?  I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite books ever.  Not that I've ever read it.  Or even own it.  But I glanced through it the last two times I was in the used book store, and it just seems like the kind of book I would love.

pixote

Yes, I've read it. Well, no, not true. I've read most of it. I really wanted to like it, but the characters just didn't ring true for me. I couldn't engage in the world Stegner was setting up. But I'd say, give it a go, pix. I think Stegner just isn't my kind of writer (I didn't like Crossing to Safety, either - the only other Stegner I've read); AoR did win the Pulitzer and people whose tastes in fiction I trust think it's pretty wonderful.

love