Author Topic: What Should I Read?  (Read 60018 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: What Should I Read?
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »
I really enjoy The Squire's Tales books, a send up of the Arthurian romance by Gerald Morris.

These sound interesting, and are nice and short. Thanks!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #461 on: September 24, 2020, 12:58:14 AM »
I have fall vacation coming up the week after next, and I'm looking for some science fiction and/or fantasy novels to read. Any suggestions? I'm trying to be a little intentional about what I read and watch that week, because these nine weeks have been pretty terrible on my psyche. I'm sure I'll still watch some intense and probably sad films, so probably should try for lighter reading.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #462 on: September 24, 2020, 06:20:33 AM »
I was going to suggest Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher, it is an excellent sci fi (first of a trilogy). Despite it's dark premise (a bunch of people hunting down an insane AI) and some very dark happenings, it is in someways a positive view of the distant future of human kind. It might be a bit dark for you at the moment.

Fantasy choice: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is my wife's go to for a book to cheer her up.
Sci Fi choice: The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Universe by Douglas Adams would be my suggestion

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
Fuzzy Nation (specifically read my Wil Wheaton) has so much heart. It's just good storytelling. It's not a sci-fi written to blow your mind with 12 dimensional concepts... the narrative is easy to follow, the concepts are easy to get, but it will take you to another time and place and it may be just the kind of soft-on-the-psyche escapism you're looking for. I highly recommend it.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »
Fuzzy Nation might be a good look, it's expensive, must be out of print or something.

I've read all The Hitch-hikers Guide books. Those are a good idea for this time, too, kind of, but it's like a million kind of sad statements wrapped in a warm blanket. I don't remember the ultimate resolution, though. Probably been ten years, maybe worth a new look.

Looked up Good Omens, sounds very funny.

Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully I get a few more, then make a few purchases.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2020, 11:55:50 PM »
I have fall vacation coming up the week after next, and I'm looking for some science fiction and/or fantasy novels to read. Any suggestions? I'm trying to be a little intentional about what I read and watch that week, because these nine weeks have been pretty terrible on my psyche. I'm sure I'll still watch some intense and probably sad films, so probably should try for lighter reading.

To Say Nothing to the Dog, by Connie Willis

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2020, 01:51:48 AM »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »
This guide could also be helpful. :)

This is pretty amazing. I like how Sci-Fi starts with whether or not you want to read Cyber Punk. That is just a strange place to start with it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Eh, not really given that Cyberpunk does have some of the more notable books in the genre.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
Eh, not really given that Cyberpunk does have some of the more notable books in the genre.

When I think Sci-Fi, I don’t think so specifically of cyber punk, but also know better than to enter the genre wars.

love