Author Topic: 1960s World Cinema: Young Aphrodites (1963, Greece)  (Read 10490 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1960s World Cinema: Young Aphrodites (1963, Greece)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »
Did you all see this quote from the director in the special features on the DVD?

Quote from: Nikos Koundouros
It is the film of desperation. A desperation, which is described in beautiful blue waters in the Aegean Sea, with two young kids exploring their bodies. Desperation because we had discredited, abolished and immobilized ourselves, we, who had fought, who had raised our voices, who had demonstrated for a new world. There was nothing for us to do. In my desperation, I decided to work on nothingness. This is a film about ideological nothingness.

Not entirely sure what to make of that.  Any thoughts?

pixote
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:05:40 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »
Maybe we're missing some context. Cuz I got none of that. Unless desperation = blue balls. Then sure.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
I haven't even obtained this movie yet. I still need to watch Young Aphrodites! I'll probably be 3 steps behind all of you throughout this marathon.

This reminded me that jbizz needs to watch this too.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
Did you all see this quote from the director in the special features on the DVD?

Quote from: Nikos Koundouros
It is the film of desperation. A desperation, which is described in beautiful blue waters in the Aegean Sea, with two young kids exploring their bodies. Desperation because we had discredited, abolished and immobilized ourselves, we, who had fought, who had raised our voices, who had demonstrated for a new world. There was nothing for us to d. In my desperation, I decided to work on nothingness. This is a film about ideological nothingness.

Not entirely sure what to make of that.  Any thoughts?

pixote

I didn't get to the special features but I didn't get the ideological nothingness or the desperation. Huh?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:45:53 PM by worm@work »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
What a great thread.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
What a great thread.

pixote

this was a pretty great marathon, even if I didn't follow it or see any of the movies.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
this was a pretty great marathon, even if I didn't follow it or see any of the movies.

I hope to resurrect it someday, maybe after I'm done resurrecting Asian films from the nineties.

pixote

love