Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755392 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"

If this forum is a party, Alex is the host, taking the coats (and hats) of the arriving guests, picking up on their patter: "You're from Tracy, California? My cat, too!".
I feel like it's my job.  I started the thread.  I feel like I have to make sure that each and every person that posts here feels welcome.  There's nothing in these boards that make you feel better than being quoted.

If we're casting party characters:

As I said before, because of your owl icon, I picture you as a diminutive guy with glasses - like about 5'-6" or shorter..."3 stone" or whatever weird measurement you guys use over there...not pudgy, just small and unassuming...fair skin, boyish face, reddish hair.  You're the guy at the party that all the other guys good-naturedly rib assuming that girls don't pay attention to you because you're so shy.  They rub on your head and give you pointers on how to pick up a girl with laughs barely hidden beneath their words, as if to say, "Yeah, like anything I say is going to help anyway.  Poor little guy.  Hopeless."

But really because of that modesty you're getting more tail than all of them combined because you've learned to milk that shy act.  Girls are practically walking toward you with their panties already around their ankles.

And as the camera pulls out from the scene, an iris closes on your face...and right before the iris closes you give a wink directly at the camera with a "ding."

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2006, 04:19:53 PM »
My goodness. I've never known an forum post to choke me up, but it was getting dusty in here for a moment. Although I hang round in less macho cirles than one you so touchingly write of, the description rings true, like a magic trick.

Just a look at my MySpace page would show how close you are. It's lacking the jovial gay-ness of your own, though it does faeture some owls.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »
I can't find a link to your myspace, Wowser.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »
Nor can I.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
Well, if you must  :D

Shamefully, I've had to use 'celebrity' users to bulk out the depressing lack of real-world friends.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25810189

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »

Just a look at my MySpace page would show how close you are. It's lacking the jovial gay-ness of your own, though it does faeture some owls.

Wow.  I was kind of dead-on-the-money wasn't I?  There's Ed looking cute-as-a-button, and right there is some hotty with her knickers down commenting that you look handsome.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
I remember that! Shop Girl review, right? With podcasts, I find they turn me into a walking "kennedy moment memory machine": I can, for example, remember exactly where I was walking when I was listening to that review, ditto many others.

Thinking about it, your feedback might have been from the following show.

Yup, it was the show after.

My memory's terrible.  I had to look up which episode it was on the blog, which was also how I found out what I got quoted saying.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »
I'm pretty rubbish at writing about film, so I leave the letter writing to the experts. Like Magnus. Maggy, MFB, whatever you want to call him.

I'd like to see alex come up with his 'sketches' of other forum members. As he rightly boasts, he's on the money. Is the 'filmspottting' contact in your friend-list the real Adam, or someone with too much time on their hands, and a slightly creepy obsession?

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2006, 04:57:17 PM »
I'd like to see alex come up with his 'sketches' of other forum members. As he rightly boasts, he's on the money.

We'll see.  You might not like what I draw.  Plus I already know what Chris looks like.
Is the 'filmspotting' contact in your friend-list the real Adam, or someone with too much time on their hands, and a slightly creepy obsession?

That's the real official Filmspotting MySpace page.  They announced it on the show one time.  They said that they don't really know how to use it yet.  I don't either.  I don't know what the heck I'm doing on MySpace besides trying to desperately collect friends, so that it doesn't look like I'm a walking advertisement for bands and podcasts.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »
Yeah, but I just see those people with 673,2323,3232 friends and I think, why even bother?

I'll add myself on to the Filmspottaroo one. And... Alex's. If he allows me.

love