Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 520115 times)

Kilroy'sCarnival

Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
Which show is your soundbite on?

Had to listen to three to find out...that would be Cinecast #97 at about 17 1/2 minutes in.  My first attempt at playing with Audacity, and you can tell I didn't quite know what I was doing with the fade. :)  Haven't quite felt so emboldened since, I guess.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:24 AM »
Quote from: "Kilroy'sCarnival"

Had to listen to three to find out...that would be Cinecast #97 at about 17 1/2 minutes in.  My first attempt at playing with Audacity, and you can tell I didn't quite know what I was doing with the fade. :)  Haven't quite felt so emboldened since, I guess.

Very sexy and sophisticimated.  You should be proud of your voice.  You sound a bit like Nasa Janet from Illinoise!

So here's who we're missing: 1)everyone else 2)I'm calling out the following people because they're the top posters...I stopped at J-Llo only because I like the name...very sexilicious of you to reference She-Of-The-Booty.

thevoid99
Ziggy_Monroe
gateway_gamer
alexander ("Pleased to meet you.  I hope you guessed my name.")
nougatmachine (Cool name for a band.)
mweston
wilson1290 (Dude or chick, you got called out on the show; you're a celebrity, people want to know about you.)
frankkramer
Impish (Again, cool name.)
bina007 (My best friend's name is Bina.  But I don' t think you're her, are you?)
J-Llo (Jenny from the B-b-b-block (See, because he or she repeats the first letter of the last part...so I did the same thing, and it sounds like a stutter;  I'm clever that way.))

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »
pew... just missed that call and can continue to sit silent in the back of the class room...

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »
Quote from: "MagnusFromBerlin"
pew... just missed that call and can continue to sit silent in the back of the class room...

Yeah, unfortunately Magnus, you just sassed the teacher, so you're next.  You're mentioned quite a bit on the show, and we want to hear what it feels like to be such a celebrity.

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 11:39:36 AM »
Quote from: "MagnusFromBerlin"

Yes, but I was about to mention you anyway, Magnus. You disappeared over the summer just as the guys were doing their best to impress you with their Herzog/Kinski insights. Worried you were carried off in a torrent of World Cup visitors wearing identical orange shirts.  You're not allowed to leave the class without a note!

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 12:54:41 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"
I was a bit shocked to see Gregory Peck as a Nazi in The Boys From Brazil the other day. Bit jarring.

Gregory Peck acts in one of the best films ever made and I still always forget about him until I see him.  Of course, then I remember what is so great about him.  I do think of him as the eternal lawyer so as a Nazi might be weird. I was trying to think if there is a Gregory Peck in today's acting community, but I couldn't think of anyone.  All I know is if I was a young girl in the 40s I would be all about Gregory Peck.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 01:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
That said, I still maintain that I'm better than Winrit.
BOO-YAH!

All right tough guy, you can call me out if you want, but let me tell you a little something about "To the pain." "To the pain," means the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists, next your nose. The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by the right . . . Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. Just some friendly advice.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "winrit"

All right tough guy, you can call me out if you want, but let me tell you a little something about "To the pain." "To the pain," means the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists, next your nose. The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by the right . . . Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. Just some friendly advice.

Well played, madam.  I can't top that.  Point: Winrit.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
well ok,

hello my name is Magnus and I am living in Berlin Germany... (not much news thus far)
I'm 32 and a self employed media designer/web person of varying success (with emphasis on varying not on success)
I'm addicted to coffee, cigarettes and diet coke (wow, that does sounds like a supermodel diet ... i also do not have an eating disorder)
in my free time, do stuff like showing movies in abandon buildings (ideally so that the place and the movie coincide), i believe in english this kind of thing is called "guerilla cinema" or something stupid like that. This year i also started showing video mixtapes revolving around one subject (an idea that i got bytheway from this very forum), at the moment i am working on a 100 Food Scenes Compilation to show later this year at a local bar (with cinema in the back). I also sometimes read a book (amazing, i know) or listing to music... if you want to know more about my musical taste (for what reason whatsoever) this is my lastFM page (they also do have a Filmspotting-Group on LastFM):
http://www.last.fm/user/judas3000/

i been listening since podcast #2 (i think), because Adam & Sam started about that time i wanted to find out what this podcasting thing is... my first feedback can be heard back on cinecast #6, which shocked me so much that i exiled to Cuba for a week... my biggest achievements in Filmspottingland so far has been to get Adam & Sam to watch "Andrey Rublyov" (yes i know it's long)

on being a filmspotting celebrity (...i didn't even have a sextape scandal or anything of the sorts), let's just say it's strange because i have done everything in my power to avoid this, ripping on Sam's favorite films, admitting to having enjoyed "love story" and constantly reminding Adam the "The Life Aquatic" does indeed not suck...  but just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in (i agree wowser the godfather part III is not a catastrophe). And now people want to check out movies because I say they are gems (people who know me would just say "yeah man, whatever...") ... you know strange like that

finally on my summer absence, let's just say i had something of a personal meltdown which combined with a complete failure of most my hardware for about one and a half month... basically i turned into the character of Johnny from 'Junebug' to put in cinematic terms... so i stayed away for awhile... (why are you still reading this?)

all the best
Magnus from Berlin

i don't have a personal webpage i can point you to, except for http://www.xinema.de, but that hasn't been updated since the end of may (resaons see above)...

wilson1290

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 01:08:01 PM »
Sorry everyone I've been on vacation the past week so Im catching up on the posts (and by everyone, I mean alexarch  :wink: )

Alright, so my name's Omar Wilson (Screwed up name but thats what you get when your parents are Australian & Mexican) im 29 (At least last time I checked) and happily married to the love of my life and fellow film buff (buffy?) I teach in L.A. and watch movies in my free time.

Movies I like: Anything that gets me emotionally involved, some call it manipulative but if a movie can make me cry it deserves some recognition.

Directors I like: Ang Lee, Frank Capra, Ozu, Hitchcock, some Speilberg

Directors I dont like: Sorry but aside from Raging Bull, Scorcese is overrated.

Podcasts: This one

So thats me in a nutshell, great post idea by the way.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

love