Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755310 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #2340 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
Hi Luca!  I love that name! Your English really is great, so post whatever pops into your head. Maybe you can teach us some Italian along the way. I'm glad you're enjoying it here so far. You and UGG seem like you're fitting in wonderfully.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2341 on: October 06, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
Alright, I’ve been roaming the forums long enough now. It’s time to be polite and introduce myself.

Hi, I’m Luca. Spare me the obvious Susan Vega jokes: Yes, I do live on the second floor. No, I’m not the victim of domestic violence.

I’m a 30 year old Italian living in Switzerland and I’m planning on moving to the US. I work as a graphic designer and I just got my BA in Mass Media and Communication Science. I’ve been listening to the podcast for about a year and a half. I never bothered checking out the forums because I expected it to be like every other movie forum I ever visited: Haters and trolls making a civilized exchange of thoughts on movies impossible. Fortunately I gave it a shot and I’m really happy I did. The filmspotting community is kind, intelligent and even if there are vastly different opinions it never turns ugly. I’m not blowing sugar up your ..ahm.. behinds here, I’m genuinely happy to have found this place and that’s why I brought my girl with me. You may have seen her bloody stairs around the forums (currently using an image of The Gentlemen).

When it comes to movies I give just about everything a shot. This is the reason why you shouldn’t be surprised having The Reader and Changeling followed by Tremors 4: The Beginning on my list of recently watched movies. I have a weak spot for campy sci-fi and horror movies from the 50’s and 60’s and I’m a Buffy enthusiast. I’m hesitant about posting reviews on the forums as I’m not a native English speaker. Writing reviews in English is still quite a struggle but it’s all a matter of practice, right?

Don't worry about posting reviews on the forum. Other then writeup's for the MDC and Bracket, a lot of them aren't very long and are summaration of thoughts. and besides, your english is fantastic. I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't your first language. (although I should use that as an excuse any time OAD spots a spelling error I've made).

Welcome to the boards youve been at for a while now. And You too UGG.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2342 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
Hi, just a quick introduction.

I currently have been living in Singapore for the last 5 years, though I have lived many places.  Born in Canada, grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago, went to University of Tennessee (Knoxville), lived in Raleigh/Durham, NC area for 7 years, moved to San Francisco Bay area for 4 years and now in Singapore for the last 5 years.

I discovered this podcast around 6 or 7 months ago but never posted on the forums.  i have slowly been making my way through them and probably am 75% done now.  The frustrating thing is trying to find the movies that interest me in Singapore after I listen to the podcast.  I am always writing down different films to check out later but smaller, more obscure films won't usually be for sale or rent around here.  If it interests me enough, I will order from Amazon and ship it over.

If there are other listeners from here or this area, let me know.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2343 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:23 AM »
Welcome, jdc115!

We hope you stick around and post often.
Texan Down Under

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2344 on: October 08, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
Welcome JDC115. I hope you stay around.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #2345 on: October 08, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
Welcome jdc115
You read 75% of all posts before making your first comment? Dang, that's crazy/amazing/awesome!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2346 on: October 08, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
Welcome jdc115
You read 75% of all posts before making your first comment? Dang, that's crazy/amazing/awesome!

I think jdc was talking about the past filmspotting shows.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #2347 on: October 08, 2009, 01:49:53 PM »
Hello jdc115!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #2348 on: October 08, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Welcome jdc115

I think jdc was talking about the past filmspotting shows.
Oh ... now I feel stupid (because I'm a moron).
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2349 on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."