love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755297 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 06:09:37 PM »
Quote from: "wilson1290"

Movies I like: Anything that gets me emotionally involved, some call it manipulative but if a movie can make me cry it deserves some recognition.

Thanks for saying that.  I thought I was the only one.  As I said in the World Trade Center thread, I go into movies with the intention of being manipulated.  And if a director picks a good composer that knows where to place a string-section swell to fell the tear welling at the bottom of my eye, then more power to him.  Or her.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
Wowser,
Thanks for the "quote".  
I just read "Superman:  For All Seasons".  In it 4 people try to determine Superman's motivations for being a hero.  Reading your quotation of my montra after reading that book made me realize that many of you don't know what that quote means to me in relation to my small body of work.  I've made over a dozen short films, and worked on several very bad and very low budget features.  I'm proud of my work, and proud of my job.  I do call myself a "filmmaker" and here is why.

Below is a link to my myspace page, but more specifically I posted a copy of my Cinematography Reel.  Its what I sent to the London Film School with my application.  Its non-specific, and just cut together to showcase my visual style and abilities.  There are a little more than half a dozen projects except in my reel, my best work.  The formats I shot on were 16mm, DVC-Pro, and Mini DV.  Its only 4:31 long and any feedback would be appreciated.  I figure this will give you a better idea of what I mean when I say I make movies (and if alexarch can inflate his ego, why can't I).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&n=2&videoID=1060196838
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 10:30:53 PM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
Quote from: "wilson1290"

Movies I like: Anything that gets me emotionally involved, some call it manipulative but if a movie can make me cry it deserves some recognition.

Thanks for saying that.  I thought I was the only one.  As I said in the World Trade Center thread, I go into movies with the intention of being manipulated.  And if a director picks a good composer that knows where to place a string-section swell to fell the tear welling at the bottom of my eye, then more power to him.  Or her.

O.K. Let's say I'm watching a movie and I hate it; I look at my watch and I can't believe there is an hour left of this film.  Suddenly someone or something on screen is beaten, killed, or maimed (either emotional or physically), violins swell, and a tear surfaces.  Is the movie suddenly redeemed?  Shouldn't a film have to earn a tear with a little more than a few sappy violins?  Shouldn't great story-telling and great filmmaking be the only reasons you surrender your emotional guard?
If for some reason you are overtaken by the emotional swell of a bad movie, please let it be an angry tear.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 05:38:55 AM »
Nice to see the board active and not filled with spam, well done whoever it was that sorted that out.

Now onto me, well first thing, my name is Stephen (and I bet you can't guess my surname :roll: ).  Speaking of which, having EVERYBODY shout Wilsoooon like Tom Hanks in Castaway got old really quickly.

I'm 21 years old, and a have just completed a Bachelors degree in Computing and I'm hoping to go on and gets an honours in Networking.  Which all sounds good, but I realised far too late (about 18 months ago) that I wanted to go to film school and be in the movie making process, but alas.  Maybe i'll fix that in a few years.  One good thing about being a student, is that I get time to watch 4-5 movies a week, which is always good.

I don't exactly know what to say here, so I'll just mention that my favourite film-makers are Woody Allen, Steven Soderbergh, P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson and, of course, Tarantino.

My filmspotting 'fame' is from the Oscar feedback, where I was one of many that was really annoyed at Crash winning and more recently, chastising Adam for the Lake House love.

Umm, I can't think of much more to say, so I'm just going to end it here.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 06:45:07 AM »
Quote from: "winrit"

O.K. Let's say I'm watching a movie and I hate it; I look at my watch and I can't believe there is an hour left of this film.  Suddenly someone or something on screen is beaten, killed, or maimed (either emotional or physically), violins swell, and a tear surfaces.  Is the movie suddenly redeemed?  Shouldn't a film have to earn a tear with a little more than a few sappy violins?  Shouldn't great story-telling and great filmmaking be the only reasons you surrender your emotional guard?
If for some reason you are overtaken by the emotional swell of a bad movie, please let it be an angry tear.

I think it goes without saying that if I couldn't care less about a character, I'm not going to care less if he or she is maimed...unless he or she is a dog.  I'm a sucker for cute pups.

I'm probably much less likely to be bored in a movie.  I go into a movie with the intention of enjoying myself.

I'm not paid to be a movie critic and friends don't want to hear discussions about structure/tone/characterization/lighting/editing; so why I should I not try to enjoy myself at the movies?

Knowing where the violin swell goes IS good filmmaking.  Adam said yesterday that he feels music should be felt and not heard in a movie.  I disagree.  If I get choked up, ask why, and then realize it's the music, well that's good music.  And music is an integral part of filmmaking.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 08:00:42 AM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
Knowing where the violin swell goes IS good filmmaking.  
I think it's hackery.  When I cried during Whale Rider it was because I felt like I was sitting on the beach with them, I cried because the filmmaker gave me something genuine.  That feeling cannot be substituted by adding violins.  There is a  difference between crying because there are violins and crying because you believe in what is happening.  The former is what I hate about movies and the latter is what I love about them.

Was this thread about introducing yourself?

P.S. No offense to violin players, of which, I know we have one on these boards.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 09:40:35 AM »
Quote from: "winrit"
P.S. No offense to violin players, of which, I know we have one on these boards.

No worries- your critique is of composers and directors, not the actual musicians. And besides, I agree with you (to an extent).

A film score should complement what's happening onscreen. A great movie is one where you can take out the score and still feel the same emotions. That doesn't mean that all movies with lush, orchestral scores are bad, or that the music in a scene making you cry is an example of "hackery", that just means that the best is when the emotion and the music are true. Do you fault Schindler's List, winrit, for having such a haunting and plaintive theme?

Also, there's a big difference from being affected by the music in a film and being manipulated by it. Good directors/composers know this line and tread it carefully. (As a musician, some of the more over the top scores are the most fun to play in concert- they don't require the film to make the audience relive the cinematic experience/emotion)

And back on topic- welcome, Stephen. Nice to find another student on here. Where are you from?

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »
Thanks Katebo, I'm from Glasgow, Scotland.  Sadly nowhere exotic, unless you're a really big fan of rain.

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »
Quote from: "Wilson"
Thanks Katebo, I'm from Glasgow, Scotland.  Sadly nowhere exotic, unless you're a really big fan of rain.

I live in the corn- Scotland is really exotic to me. And I happen to love the rain. (just got back from wandering around in it, actually- thank God for dryers)

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »
Quote from: "Katebo"
A lot of very insightful things about music, movies, and Steven Spielberg.

Yeah; What she said.
 :P

That's a lame-ass emoticon.  It looks like I'm smiling with a blood-filled mouth instead of sticking my tongue out at you...which I am.
BOO-YAH!

love