love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755429 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »
Welcome to the Borg... :P
Hey, nice marmot!

NYCsassy gal

• http://rachelruminations.blogspot.com
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »
Hey folks,
I'm a long-time listener and sporadic board lurker. I surf and read when I get a few moments here and there.

Mostly, I'm a fan who eagerly awaits a new 'cast so I can listen, nod and giggle to myself on the subway on the way to work.  I work in textbook publishing and, until oooh a week ago, I was marketing communication texts, English composition books and a few introduction to film texts. (I talk to college profs about using our books; I do not write the texts myself.)

Anywhoo, that's me... oh yea, I am also a tour guide at the American Museum of Natural History and yes, the museum now has open-to-the-public sleep-overs.  Fortunately, Robin Williams does not appear during the evening as TR.   Unfortunately, that terrible movie does not do the museum justice.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #482 on: February 21, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
Wow.  It's been a whole week and no one has officially welcomed you.  So very sorry about that.  We're falling down on are duties of grace.

You make your job sound both boring and interesting.  Part of me would love to be surrounded by books all day, but another part of me would cringe at being surround by textbooks.  It's that same ambivalence I go through when I think about going back to school.  I remember how much I loved talking architecture theory, but also how much I couldn't wait to get out of school away from hippies and into the real world.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #483 on: February 21, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »
oops! I can't believe we missed this!!! Welcome to the boards ny gal. Did you make it to the meet-up?
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

NYCsassy gal

• http://rachelruminations.blogspot.com
« Reply #484 on: February 26, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
Hey Sorry for my delay!   I hit the boards when I have a few moments and I just started the new job today, so those moments were few this past week.

JOB:  it's cool and exciting (in a geeky and college-y kind of way)  Personally, books still make me giddy. I get a rush everytime I walk into a Barnes and Noble. It's a sickness.

I did attend the meet-up. Although Adam is mad at me now.  My stealth settling of the bill... not so much.  But I did eat most of the chicken fingers (see! There was a reason!!!)

Thanks for the welcome.  :)

sodajerk

« Reply #485 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:39 PM »
I did attend the meet-up. Although Adam is mad at me now.  My stealth settling of the bill... not so much.  But I did eat most of the chicken fingers (see! There was a reason!!!)

That was you? You really are sassy  ;) Welcome to the boards!

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »
Hey Sorry for my delay!   I hit the boards when I have a few moments and I just started the new job today, so those moments were few this past week.

JOB:  it's cool and exciting (in a geeky and college-y kind of way)  Personally, books still make me giddy. I get a rush everytime I walk into a Barnes and Noble. It's a sickness.

Thanks for the welcome.  :)

totally get the Barnes and Nobles thing... I always dreamed of "accidentally" getting locked in one overnight, how great would that be?

p.s. - if ever we're out and about together, feel free to stealthily settle any and all bills, really, I don't mind at all...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:40:17 AM by VmSoze »

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #487 on: February 27, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »
I volunteered in a library when I was a kid... not to beef up my resume or anything like that, but because that way I could be around books all the time!!! Oh those were the days.....
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

aliaimee

• The Plot Thickens
« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2007, 04:12:53 PM »
I'll fourth the bookstore fetish! I worked at Borders part time when I was first at uni and loved it there. Actually it was fairly ridiculous- they got all their money back from me and more! I was constantly buying books and dvds, and my family and friends kept up a constant stream of orders too. The fact that I don't work there anymore doesn't stop me dropping by often - only now there's no staff discount :(

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
That was me and the shoe store I worked in... I eventually had to quit the job I was losing too much money.

mmmmmm shoooeeeessss