love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755481 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #550 on: March 08, 2007, 10:23:06 AM »
I've been avoiding this for reasons of lack of self-interest.

My name is Michael Grace. I currently live in North Jersey, but I'm from the Philly area and graduate from Rutgers University. I'm working an unspeakably bad job while I make films on the side, write scripts, try to get work as an editor/videographer and prepare for grad school (phd in film studies). I've been listening since #100 or so and back tracked pretty far previous to that. My favorite film is Last Year in Marienbad and as an ex-radio dj, I am mostly incapable of picking a favorite band (but the fiery furnaces are my fiancee's fav so I hear that more than anything). I hate these things and I'm sure it shows. I listen to entirely too much NPR and I very badly want to see Killer of Sheep when it starts playing the IFC center at the end of the month. I'll set up a public list of my voting and whatnot and post it when I get around to it. I don't always go for the obscure films like Marienbad and Jeanne Dielman, but I often do (same way with music, my co-host once called me an "avant-gardist" leading to on-air pen throwing and a game of 20 questions). I don't know if there are any others out there, but I am a vegan and would love to have a discussion about veganism relating to film.

Thanks for reading. I'm going back into the shadows now to listen to The Microphones and eat my tofu pop.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #551 on: March 08, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

My name is Michael Grace. I currently live in North Jersey, but I'm from the Philly area and graduate from Rutgers University. I'm working an unspeakably bad job while I make films on the side, write scripts, try to get work as an editor/videographer and prepare for grad school (phd in film studies). I've been listening since #100 or so and back tracked pretty far previous to that. My favorite film is Last Year in Marienbad and as an ex-radio dj, I am mostly incapable of picking a favorite band (but the fiery furnaces are my fiancee's fav so I hear that more than anything). I hate these things and I'm sure it shows. I listen to entirely too much NPR and I very badly want to see Killer of Sheep when it starts playing the IFC center at the end of the month. I'll set up a public list of my voting and whatnot and post it when I get around to it. I don't always go for the obscure films like Marienbad and Jeanne Dielman, but I often do (same way with music, my co-host once called me an "avant-gardist" leading to on-air pen throwing and a game of 20 questions). I don't know if there are any others out there, but I am a vegan and would love to have a discussion about veganism relating to film.

Thanks for reading. I'm going back into the shadows now to listen to The Microphones and eat my tofu pop.

North Jersey!  you have very good taste then... Where abouts are you?  anywhere near Jersey City/Hoboken?

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #552 on: March 08, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »

North Jersey!  you have very good taste then... Where abouts are you?  anywhere near Jersey City/Hoboken?

Half hour. Near Morristown and Parsippany. I have friends that live in Jersey City.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
Michael, thanks for posting.  I believe Crumpet is a vegetarian, but I'm not sure about her being a vegan.  You can ask her.  As far as veganism in filmmaking?  Wow.  That's a tough call.  Chris and ElectricOtter are our resident filmmakers...or at least the two most vocal.  The others don't frequent this board as much, so I don't know them as well.  Maybe they know a thing or two about veganism in filmmaking.

Again, welcome.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks.

Just to be clear, vegans get into a lot of discussions about morality within veganism. So the kind of discussion of film that occurs is whether it's okay to support films like Las Hurdes or Apocalypse Now considering they killed animals for the film.

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
I'm somewhere between vegetarian and vegan.  I was vegan for a while, but then I took up knitting, and like to knit with natural fibres (I knit with plant based fibres too, but I knit most with wool) over synthetics.  I also eat eggs sometimes, free range and usually from my friend's chickens.  And I eat cheese that has no animal rennet.

What are your views on film being made with gelatin?

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
Honestly, I just dont know what to think about that. I mean, for me personally, I work entirely digitally, so it's not an issue. As for watching stock made from animal gelatin, I am accepting it as a necessary evil (like how there's no such thing as vegan tires) that I just don't have the time and energy to get around. Obviously, it all comes down to how much you are willing to do, personally.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
Filmspotter: ok none of these really apply beyond knowing you can type
demonstrates large motor skills
i.e., jumping, skipping, galloping, hopping,
balancing, and ball handling
demonstrates small-motor skills
i.e., use of crayons, scissors, glue, and pencil.

...and yes I did go and find a kindergarten report card... I was procrastinating  :-*

Lise, these are all the skills I'm looking for in a good filmspotter.  If you're not a good galloper, I have no use for you.  In fact, in order to enter the next contest entrants must demonstrate excellence in all the above skill sets.

We're calling it The First Annual Filmspotting Jumping, Skipping, Galloping, Hopping, Balancing, Ball Handling (tee-hee), Crayon-using, Scissoring, Glueing, and Penciling Race for the Cure!  We're still working out the details, and we don't know what we're trying to cure yet.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #558 on: March 09, 2007, 06:35:42 PM »
A contest of that nature could be fun... it's like making tape sculpture, juvenile but fun!
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #559 on: March 09, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »
well, I guess I'm out then... my Glueing skills have never been up to snuff :)