Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755372 times)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2007, 02:55:12 AM »
.........lurk
              lurk
                   lurk
                        lurk..............
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

wombat

« Reply #711 on: May 07, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »
Hey again everybody.

Rishi - I went to ND from Fall 2002 and just graduated last May. I am a grad student in Electrical Engineering, specifically in the area of Communications, Networks and Systems. Notre Dame is pretty small so if your friend was there during those years, there is a good chance I might know him.

VmSoze - You and your Trojans have been the biggest buzzkills (or more accurately buzzsaws) to every Irish loving fan accross the country over the past five years. I understand where you are coming from with Vince Young in the Rose Bowl last year, but seriously, that was just one game compared to five seasons worth of misery. Just look at the 2005 game: 4th and long, game on the line, the stadium is about to explode and Leinheart completes a 60 yard pass to Jarrett to get a first and goal. Forget about the "Bush push", I was already whimpering like a school girl in the stands.

Anyways, I loves me some good trash talk so hopefully you'll be ready to bring it in the fall.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »
my cleveland browns drafted your irish boy Brady Quinn.

it remains to be seen how well he'll do though

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2007, 12:14:33 PM »
VmSoze - You and your Trojans have been the biggest buzzkills (or more accurately buzzsaws) to every Irish loving fan accross the country over the past five years. I understand where you are coming from with Vince Young in the Rose Bowl last year, but seriously, that was just one game compared to five seasons worth of misery. Just look at the 2005 game: 4th and long, game on the line, the stadium is about to explode and Leinheart completes a 60 yard pass to Jarrett to get a first and goal. Forget about the "Bush push", I was already whimpering like a school girl in the stands.

Anyways, I loves me some good trash talk so hopefully you'll be ready to bring it in the fall.

Yeah, buzzkills we are, sorry (actually, I'm not, but hey, you're new and nice - for a Domer - so I'll be good)... 2005 is interesting though because I actually didn't see the infamous 4th and Long.  I watched the entire game, but when that 4th and Long came up, I was so upset that I literally hid behind my couch... I just couldn't bear to watch.  (and you better believe I was quivering behind my couch during all of the Longhorns (or should I say the "Young"horns, since apparently he's a 1 man team who must have a magical jersey which makes him immune to being tackled by ALL defensive players... sorry, I hate that game) final drive in the Rose Bowl, when it was all over, I actually cried - but I'm a girl AND a sore loser so that was to be expected).  Anyway, that's just me, big sore loser who cries over football... but don't let that fool you.  I will be more than ready for a trash talk assault come Football season, maybe we can even talk about the absurdity of letting the grass on your field grow or wearing green jerseys and still getting destroyed ;)

Fight On! ...and just for good measure, fUCLA. :)

ps - I will say that Rudy is one of the greatest sports movies ever, so you have that going for you...although the idea of "Touchdown Jesus" kind of cancels it out... Oh, this is going to be fun, eh?

Rishi

• Commentary Track - My movie blog
« Reply #714 on: May 07, 2007, 12:57:22 PM »
Rishi - I went to ND from Fall 2002 and just graduated last May. I am a grad student in Electrical Engineering, specifically in the area of Communications, Networks and Systems. Notre Dame is pretty small so if your friend was there during those years, there is a good chance I might know him.

My friend's name is Lucas Sayre. He graduated in 2004 with a degree in Poly Sci.

As for college football, with my alma mater (Univ. of Virginia), I really have no business ever trash-talking anyone because, well, we suck. We shouldn't suck, but we do.
"Oh no, Dad, it's completely baked."

Commentary Track - A blog for film buffs

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #715 on: May 07, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »

My friend's name is Lucas Sayre. He graduated in 2004 with a degree in Poly Sci.

As for college football, with my alma mater (Univ. of Virginia), I really have no business ever trash-talking anyone because, well, we suck. We shouldn't suck, but we do.

See I think my roommate graduated from nd in '04 too... but he was in chemistry.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

clownation

• Wild West (1920) M.C.Escher
« Reply #716 on: May 07, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi, folks.

I'm Clown and I'm 57 years old.  I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.  I've been listening to Filmspotting podcasts for several months now; reading the forums only recently.

It looks like a very nice community here: smart, knowledgeable, interesting and civilized.  I certainly can't see or like everything, but by knowing and listening to the right people I shouldn't have to watch as many crap movies to find those that satisfy me.  This looks like a useful place.

I was a projectionist off and on for many years.  I first learned projection on carbon-arc, manual changeover machines in a repertory/art house, and got to see a lot of classics on the big screen.

During the beta/VHS wars (late '80s – early '90s) I was video buyer at an independent video store.

I'd like to think that my tastes are eclectic.  I look for films that reward repeat viewings with something more than nostalgia for the first viewing.  I look for films that demonstrate the ability of the filmmakers to get all that they need from the materials at hand, through efficiency and attention to detail; films that anticipate and guide the shift and flow of my attention throughout the presentation; films that repay my suspension of disbelief with something that I can believe or accept; that allow me those magical moments of experiencing the filmmakers' presented reality as my own perceived reality, and maybe even show me wonders through their different eyes.

A few films, off the top of my head, that I could watch twice in a row, right now:

1.The Wild Bunch (69)
2.Performance (70)
3.Memento (00)
4.Miller's Crossing (90)
5.Brazil (85)
6.The Conversation (74)

And ... I believe that anyone who catches all of the film references in The Simpsons should consider themselves well-viewed.

All for now.  I'll chime in when I've something to say.
The heads. You're looking at the heads. Sometimes he goes too far. He's the first one to admit it.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #717 on: May 07, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »
It looks like a very nice community here: smart, knowledgeable, interesting and civilized....

yeah you are new here  :D

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #718 on: May 07, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »
Survival Of The Fittest!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

roner

• Groovy
    • Boxwatcher
« Reply #719 on: May 07, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »
Hi, folks.

I'm Clown and I'm 57 years old.  I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.  I've been listening to Filmspotting podcasts for several months now; reading the forums only recently.

I was a projectionist off and on for many years.  I first learned projection on carbon-arc, manual changeover machines in a repertory/art house, and got to see a lot of classics on the big screen.

During the beta/VHS wars (late '80s – early '90s) I was video buyer at an independent video store.

A few films, off the top of my head, that I could watch twice in a row, right now:

1.The Wild Bunch (69)
2.Performance (70)
3.Memento (00)
4.Miller's Crossing (90)
5.Brazil (85)
6.The Conversation (74)

And ... I believe that anyone who catches all of the film references in The Simpsons should consider themselves well-viewed.

All for now.  I'll chime in when I've something to say.

Hi Clown,

I'm a newbie here as well.  Welcome to the boards.  First of all that is a nice list you have there.  I've never seen The Wild Bunch but it's sitting on my Tivo right now just waiting to be watched. 

If you don't mind me asking could you talk a litte about being a projectionist?  I always thought it would be a fun job.  From what I understand there isn't much money though.  Owning my own theater is one of my "things I would do if I won the lottery" fantasys, so I'm always interested in learning more about it. 
"No matter where you go, there you are."
                               -Buckaroo Banzai

www.boxwatcher.net
www.viewfromthecheapseatsonline.com
With Podcast!