love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755241 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:47:37 PM »
I've noticed that this board tends to stay pretty impersonal.  There's some but not a whole lot of yakking back and forth between members.  So, let's try to get to know each other on these forums.  After all, we all already have one thing in common: We love the musings of Adam and Sam.

I would love to see these forums take off, so I'll start it off.

Nonsense and Personal Shtuff: I've been listening to the boys for about a year now.  I've been read by the boys about 4 times now, and in my own pathetic way, I feel like that makes me special.  I'm an architect.  I live in Dallas with my partner and two cats, and I'm 34.

Favorite Podcasts: Filmspotting, Coverville, Keith and the Girl, KCRW's The Business, Studio 360, The Night Nurse Show, and Gay Pimpin' with Jonny McGovern.

MySpace Page:  With Pics!!! For Extra-Super-Fangorious-Get-To-Know-Me-Action!!!! www.myspace.com/alexarchitect

Hope to see more of you guys and gals list some personal things: I'm peeking at you, winrit and Kilroy's Carnival.  You seem to post a lot.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
I'm quite shy, so I don't like these sort of things, but Alex pursuaded me, so I'll help him bring his nice idea to the forum. (And apologies to Alex for stealing his format, here):

I first head The 'Cast when iTunes picked it up, but since my musings on film rarely stretch beyond 'that film was awesome!' I don't really write in at all.

Like George Costanza, I like to pretend I'm an architect, but I'm actually still trying to find a nice fun job after college. Perhaps even academic /film-related, though I'm not sure how they view an art history degree.

I have a humble film blog which tries to deal with films that have been on UK TV that week (it's been a fallow period of late). It's at http://afilmaweek.blogspot.com if you enjoy badly written blogs.

Like Alex, I don't tend to post here so much because (he he eloquently puts it) there's 'not a whole lot of yakking back and forth between members'. That's quite true: it often just seems like a lot of people posting which films they like without the chitchat on the way.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"

I have a humble film blog which tries to deal with films that have been on UK TV that week (it's been a fallow period of late). It's at http://afilmaweek.blogspot.com if you enjoy badly written blogs.

You're too humble.  I quickly read the "Wonder Boys" post and it was well written.  I think this podcast attracts people that like discussing movies intelligently.

I met someone somewhere recently with an architectural degree.  After getting the degree, she realized it wasn't for her and went back to school for an art history degree.  Now she works at the DMA (Dallas Museum of Art) doing archiving.  She said she thinks she got the gig because of her architectural knowledge.  I'm sure I'm leaving something out here, but the point is it's very cool to have an art history degree.  Very cool.

Thanks for sharing. Winrit?

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
Alex, leave it to you to bring personality to the place!   :D

Christopher Schneider is me, rather I am  Christopher Schneider.

I currently live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina but will be moving to London next month.  (Any Brits please feel free to contact me.)

I've wanted to be a filmmaker since I was 7 and have completed a BFA in filmmaking with a concentration in Cinematography from the North Carolina School of the Arts.  I'm moving to London to get my MFA in filmmaking from the London Film School, and hopefully live out my dream as a "British" Filmmaker.

Obviously I like movies, but I also love literature, specifically the works of Jane Austen, Craig Thompson, Brian Micheal Bendis, and books like The Alchemist.

My heroes are Jim Henson, Adam Kimmel, and Troy Aikman to name a few.

Here is my myspace page for pics and other interests, http://www.myspace.com/csschneider , and I have a blog linked below.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »
You'll be like Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick, or Ridley Scott on reverse, Chris!

Thanks for the kind words, Alex.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"
You'll be like Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick, or Ridley Scott on reverse, Chris!

Thanks for the kind words, Alex.

Terry Gilliam on reverse?  I love a good mind-f, but I'm not sure how I feel about a reverse mind-f.

Thanks Schnitz.  I added you on MySpace, but MySpace is so busted right now, I don't know if it will work.  I've tried to add some other people, and it's not working.  I'm trying to figure out your "Leave it to Alex" comment.  I guess I'll just take it as a compliment.  :wink:

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 04:57:03 AM »
I've been listening to the podcast for quite a while now -- I can't remember when I started -- but I should have been listening longer.  My partner listened way before me, and I used to just overhear his playing from the computer.  It took me a little while to get into the whole podcast thing, but now I love them.  I also listen to Sunday Night Safran, The Signal, The Week in Whedon, KnitWit - Rantings of a Rabid Knitter, Firefly Talk, Film Buff's Podcast, CraftyPod, Crafty Chica, Craft Borg, Cast-On and Craft Sanity.  My favourites by far are Filmspotting, Cast-On (a knitting podcast) and Sunday Night Safran (a podcast of an Australian radio show -- the tagline is "Religion, Politics and Hoochies", if that gives you any idea of what it's about...)

Anyway, I live in Melbourne, Australia, with my partner and two dogs.  I'm 27.  I studied advertising at uni straight out of high school, instead of doing a fine art degree (thought I should probably do something that would make me money).  I studied art direction and copywriting all through the course, and worked for three years as a copywriter when I finished uni.  It turns out I hate ads, so one retrenchment package and three or so years later, I'm back at uni studying what I really wanted to in the first place -- fine arts with a major in printmaking.  I also study a media arts subject called Hybrid Media, where we get to make fun little animations.  I'm currently working on my major project for the semester, which will be origami stop-motion.  Projects from my first semester can be seen here, here, here and here.  I also have a lot of other work on my website, my blog (this is where all the artwork has been shown recently -- it hasn't made it to the other part of the website yet), and my Flickr page.  Oh, and I have a thoroughly neglected podcast about art called FreakPods -- I'm hoping to get another podcast up within the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, as you can probably tell from the podcast list up there, I love making stuff.  I'm a printmaker, but I also do lots of fibre arts (knitting, sewing, embroidery, spinning yarn), jewellery making, book making, and sculpture-esque, drawing and painting things.  I have a relatively mindless casual retail job to pay the rent and keep me sane (lesson one learned from my advertising career -- avoid "creative" jobs like the plague if you have any interest in doing anything creative on your own time).

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
Hey crumpet,

Very cute nephew, or is it your nephew's child?  I just took a moment to look at your blog and saw the cute little baby.

So, it's shaping up that there's a lot of creative types on these boards.  That's very cool.  I admire that in you guys.  I sometimes wish I had followed a creative career.

Crumpet, what's your retail job?  I worked at a clothing store as a second job about 8 years ago or so--J.Crew.  I loved it.  I sold dressy mens wear with a kind of youthful/casual slant to people.  At that tiem J.Crew had a healthy dressy selection and I was in that area of the store.  I loved every minute of it.  Now I'm addicted to Project Runway.

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
Very cute nephew, or is it your nephew's child?  I just took a moment to look at your blog and saw the cute little baby.

It our friend's baby -- he was born a couple of weeks ago, and is adorable. :)

Quote from: "alexarch"
Crumpet, what's your retail job?

I work in a big Australian department store, in the homewares area.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »
Crumpet,

I know this is total shite, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of spreading ridiculous rumor.

I heard from totally unreliable sources that there are so many gay men in the metropolitan parts of Australia, that the straight guys can be jerks to the women because there are so few to choose from.

How's that for a wild, completely unfounded, and ultimately inflammatory observation?

love