love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755371 times)

MrBTY

• Prepare yourselves...
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #740 on: May 29, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
Found the site through the podcasts and decided tog ive the boards a shot. Here are random movie facts about myself...

- I love 80s/early 90s action flicks. For example Point Break, Commando, and Predator. I <3 things that explode, essentially.

- The only time I ever got mad at a movie was Dark Water. The fact that I paid my money to the theatre already solidified that I wasn't going to leave. Sitting through it waiting an hour for something to happen made me lose it. Essentially if you can't entertain an inebriated teenager, you really f'd up in the entertainment department.

- After the original Star Wars trilogy ended, I like to believe George Lucas lost his mind. The minute he stepped foot on Return of the Jedis red carpet something in his brain snapped.

- Other movies I like are all Kevin Smith films (yes I enjoyed Jersey Girl to an extent), Grindhouse, Vanishing Point, Freeway, Devils Rejects, Mr. Nanny, Ichi The Killer, Battle Royal, See No Evil (seriously), Spiderman trilogy, X-men trilogy, and Daredevil.

I like this guy!  Point Break is such an underrated flick.  I loved that it was featured in Hot Fuzz, and yes Jersey Girl isn't a horrible movie.  Welcome aboard dude!

I have a crazy ass story about Hot Fuzz and Point Break. Back in 4th grade I saw Point Break for the first time on TBS, never being able to finish it. I ended after the most awesome chase ever thinking it was Keanu's girlfriend under the mask. Flash to seeing Hot Fuzz and realizing "Holy crap! That's surfing Keanu???!!!!" So I rent the movie and my dad mentions it's Swayze and Reagan and despite watching it I go "Really???" Good times, good times.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
hey mrbty and scalzo,  welcome and many happy returns.

Scalzo: I have a question.  Is your avatar a screenshot from Sups 3?  I swear it looks just like Chris Reeve, but I can't be sure.

On an aside, there's a scene in Sups Returns that bugs me - when Clark drinks.  In the first movie, Sups tell Lois he doesn't drink.  I know Singer knew about this line because he was so damn worshipful of the original movie.  (Aside: if that is a screenshot from Sups 3, I totally get that "bad" Superman would drink.)

Anyway, that scene in Sups Returns is awkward, not just for the drinking but because of the odd behavior by Clark & Jimmy.  It's like he and Jimmy are drunk, like that scene was cut down from a place where they were explicitly drunk to a place where it might be possible that they are drunk.  It's just an odd scene.

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
hey mrbty and scalzo,  welcome and many happy returns.

Scalzo: I have a question.  Is your avatar a screenshot from Sups 3?  I swear it looks just like Chris Reeve, but I can't be sure.

On an aside, there's a scene in Sups Returns that bugs me - when Clark drinks.  In the first movie, Sups tell Lois he doesn't drink.  I know Singer knew about this line because he was so damn worshipful of the original movie.  (Aside: if that is a screenshot from Sups 3, I totally get that "bad" Superman would drink.)

Anyway, that scene in Sups Returns is awkward, not just for the drinking but because of the odd behavior by Clark & Jimmy.  It's like he and Jimmy are drunk, like that scene was cut down from a place where they were explicitly drunk to a place where it might be possible that they are drunk.  It's just an odd scene.
Yeah, it's from Superman 3 before he flicks the peanuts at the bar mirror.  Always cracked me up.

I never thought about the SR bar scene that way.  I just took it as Clark being goofy Clark.  I'll have to check it out again.

By the way AlexArch, you're a PSB fan?  I'm a big fan too.  I get made fun of endlessly, but they still make some incredible dance/pop music.

George Michael too.  That's right, I said it!!!  I love the Pet Shop Boys and Geporge Michael!  Us straight white folk can like dance music!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:28:59 PM by Scalzo »
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm a pretty big PSB fan.  George Michael is real hit-or-miss for me.  When he goes dance-y, I love it.  When he gets mellow and croony, I can't get into it.

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2007, 09:24:48 PM »
Do you have all the deluxe editions of the PSB albums?  They're fantastic!  There is a TON of great extra tracks on them!
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #745 on: June 01, 2007, 07:11:07 AM »
Do you have all the deluxe editions of the PSB albums?  They're fantastic!  There is a TON of great extra tracks on them!
Not all of them.  I have a few: Nightlife, Release, Fundamental, Bilingual.  I'm not THAT into them that I would re-buy the albums I already have.  Plus a lot of the b-sides on the older albums are on Alternative which I have.

danielle

« Reply #746 on: June 19, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
My story is a little sad, I must admit. I grew up rather movie deprived...

My parents were fairly picky about what I watched growing up, and I was a very busy kid so I never had much time for movies. But now, as sophomore in college, I've completely fallen in love with film. I will credit Adam and Sam as a huge contributor to that inspiration, since stumbling across their podcast was one of the best things that's happened to me. =)

Like I said, I'm in college (studying English and Art) and I've lived in Wisconsin for a few years now (grew up in lovely Northern California). My hobbies include a variety of things, from reading and sketching to rugby and soccer. I always make time to watch the Office, and have a soft spot for X-Files, Arrested Development, and Wishbone (yeah, the one with the little dog on PBS).

Recently I've been trying to catch up on classic moments that I should have enjoyed as a kid... such as bawling my eyes out in ET. =)
Favorite films include...
I Am Sam, Master and Commander, The Painted Veil, The Fellowship of the Ring, Empire Strikes Back, Memento, ET, Robin Hood (Disney), Science of Sleep, Pride & Prejudice (yeah, I can sit for 6 hours), etc...

I'm honored to meet so many others that appreciate movies!

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #747 on: June 19, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »
So do you find yourself identifying with Sam a lot? I'm just curious because you both experienced a brand of cinematic deprivation. I was left to unsupervised cable television as a child so I'm well versed in the Risky Business type movies. I still have all those movies that came out before I was born to catch up on. If you liked Science of Sleep you're O.K. with me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:35:33 PM by winrit »
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

danielle

« Reply #748 on: June 19, 2007, 08:01:46 PM »
So do you find yourself identifying with Sam a lot? I'm just curious because you both experienced a brand cinematic deprivation. I was left to unsupervised cable television as a child so I'm well versed in the Risky Business type movies. I still have all those movies that came out before I was born to catch up on. If you liked Science of Sleep you're O.K. with me.

Yeah, I can definitely identify to some of his deprivation. I was pretty sheltered regarding movies (watched my first R movie when I was 17) and grew up on musicals, Disney cartoons, animal movies like Free Willy, and Jane Austen adaptations. =) I still have never watched many of those oh so popular and/or quoted movies from my grade school and high school years (Titanic, Orange County, Anchorman, Zoolander, Indiana Jones, etc...). There are many movies I missed that I want to go back and watch, not necessarily because I think they'll be good, but because everyone else has seen them.

So having confessed all that, I'm open to any suggestions! What are the essential 90s movies that I missed out on? Or from any other time period, I guess...

danielle

« Reply #749 on: June 19, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »
If you liked Science of Sleep you're O.K. with me.

Oh, and yeah, I was completely enchanted by Science of Sleep, as well as Eternal Sunshine... It's discouraging that so few of my peers have even heard of Science of Sleep. But then again, a part of me wants it to stay that way since I think there are many people that would not be patient enough to appreciate it.