Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755418 times)

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #810 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:51 AM »
A whole discussion about me!  I need to check the boards more often, obviously. :)

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #811 on: August 27, 2007, 10:17:26 AM »
I'll say an official hello, Alex! Nice avatar, by the way- I've always loved that shot.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

MrVengeance81

• Myspace
« Reply #812 on: September 16, 2007, 11:03:44 AM »
Hello All....

My name is Anthony Albarran. I live in North Venice, FL. I grew up in Boardman, OH and went to school at The Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY. After getting a degree in New Media Design and Imaging, I moved down to FL with the 'rents. Job hunting was pretty unsuccessful for a good two years. I slaved in the local Barnes & Noble's receiving department for a while. I still work there 2 days a week, the discount is just too good. Then the Realtor who sold my parents our home, turned out to be the weekend weatherperson at the local ABC affiliate, WWSB. She got me in touch with the chief editor at the station and a few months later, the weekend editing job opened up. I took the job without hesitation.

When did I first start looking at film as an art form? Probably, middle way through high school when my dad told me to sit my ass down and he put in an old, heavily used, surprisingly letterboxed, VHS copy of 'Lawrence of Arabia'. It was definitely one of those life-changing moments. The story, characters, and settings were so compelling, I felt as though I was crossing the sun-scorched desert with Lawrence and crew. More and more I would discover the classics we had on video and find myself in front of TV more often. 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Seven Samurai, The Sting, and Psycho were very heavily watched in my High School years. Yet, I could still watch and enjoy mindless entertainment movies.

Then DVDs hit. I haven't been the same person since. As my collection grew so did my appreciation for foreign, exploitation, and genre films.
My Collections: DVDs, HD DVDs, Blu-Rays (Updated 10/25/07)
Last Movies Watched: NIN: Beside You In Time (Blu-Ray), Horrors of Malformed Men (DVD), Doors (DVD)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #813 on: September 16, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »
Welcome MrVengeance81, what is the 81 about?  YOB?  What is it you want(ed) to do, or specialized in your New Media program?  How is the editing gig?  Congrats on that.  Find or start some threads to comment on your foreign, exploitation and genre film thoughts. 
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Aaron

« Reply #814 on: September 16, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
Nice to hear from you Vengeance!  Sounds like you skipped over laserdisc.  You are a brave, brave person to take the punishment of B and N.  Tell me the truth, all they have in the back room are old copies of The Client and Maddonna's Sex book.  Right? 

What are some of your favorite films? Least favorite type of film? First film you watched stoned?  (Mine was Stop Making Sense)

In fact, that is going to be a new topic on the boards...

MrVengeance81

• Myspace
« Reply #815 on: September 16, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »
skjerva
Yes, 81 is the year i was born. During school, I was very much into SIMPLE 3D modeling and animation. I took a very basic DV class and enjoyed editing out projects. So, I see TV editing as a good stepping stone.

Aaron
Ah yes, laserdiscs. These were out right when I was getting into film, and had little technical knowledge, so at the time they just seemed overly expensive. Yet, here I am now a HD DVD and Blu-Ray owner.
You would be very surprised at the product turnaround at B&N, but we are the second busiest store in our district. The only thing actually sitting in our receiving room right now are about 10 boxes of Harry Potter 7. That whats left of our original shipment of 300 boxes.
That favorite movie question is dangerous. Probably my all time favorite movies are Once Upon A Time In The West and Lawrence of Arabia.
I tend to steer clear of cookie cutter light romantic comedies dished out for the masses. Other than that, I'm game. There has only been one movie I have walked out of the theater, and that was Snake Eyes. The only movie that made me feel physically ill was Cannibal Holocaust. Watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after smokin up one night.....was interesting.
My Collections: DVDs, HD DVDs, Blu-Rays (Updated 10/25/07)
Last Movies Watched: NIN: Beside You In Time (Blu-Ray), Horrors of Malformed Men (DVD), Doors (DVD)

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #816 on: September 18, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
hmmm... the movie that made you feel ill question... I haven't thought about that one in a while! (mine was hannibal... all I need to say is brains... ugh!!!)

I'm always interested in people with animation/modeling experience. It's what my brother does, but he does it from the other side (aka creation of hardware etc).

Anyhoo... welcome to the madness!

BTW - there is nothing wrong with mindless entertainment, as long as you add a little art occasionally. :)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #817 on: September 24, 2007, 06:15:01 PM »
In honor of my 100th post, I suppose I'll finally introduce myself. Before now, I couldn't be sure I would spend much time on the boards.

The name's Alex. I live in Hudson, Ohio, and I'm a senior in high school. I'm applying to USC, NYU, Florida State, and Chapman in the fall - obviously I want to study film. 

I went to USC for a bit.  I think everyone should go there so if you have any questions, let me know.  I can't say enough good things about 'SC.  Fight on! :)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #818 on: September 24, 2007, 06:39:59 PM »
I went to USC for a bit.  I think everyone should go there so if you have any questions, let me know.  I can't say enough good things about 'SC.  Fight on! :)

Film school? If so, how'd you get in? Either way actually.
A$AP Fables

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #819 on: September 24, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »

Film school? If so, how'd you get in? Either way actually.

no, I was in the process of applying for a Cinema/Television major when I decided to move back east, but I went there as a Computer Science major.

As far as how I got in... I scored well on my PSATs and got a letter from USC about a program they run called RHP (Resident Honors Program).  Basically, if you are accepted into the program you go to SC after your junior year of high school.  I took my SATs that weekend and applied (I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get in), but to my surprise I did...  It was and is the only school I've ever applied to so I don't know how they're process differs from anyplace else, but everyone I've ever dealt with at the university has been very helpful and really eager to welcome prospective Trojans.  I would suggest finding the Alumni group near you and seeing if they are having any get togethers for applicants or recent acceptees that you could go to.  You'll get a good sense of the Trojan family.  Also, once you get in (the power of positive thinking tells me that you will), be sure to go the the preview weekend with whichever parent is less sure about sending you out to California.  The staff puts on amazing event after amazing event and I know that it was because of that weekend that my mother finally agreed to let me move 3,000 miles away.  Also, if you go definitely spend the night with a host student in the dorms, you'll meet a lot of your future classmates (should you decide to enroll there) and you'll get a good idea of what dorm life will be like.  I was in the honors dorm, so we were just slightly less debaucherous than the other dorms, but not by much. 

Sorry for the long post, I just get very excited when people tell me they're looking at 'SC.  :)

love