Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755488 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #880 on: November 16, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
I'm wondering if either of you get a secret thrill when someone says, "Great Scott!" in a movie.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #881 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
I don't. I often forget that my middle name is Scott until somebody brings it up. But Alexander The Great is fun. Sucks for all of you plain "Alex"s.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #882 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
I now realize that that question may not have been directed at me. I still answered it for you, though. You are welcome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #883 on: November 16, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »
I don't. I often forget that my middle name is Scott until somebody brings it up. But Alexander The Great is fun. Sucks for all of you plain "Alex"s.
What can I say?  My father's a moron.

Think_Long

« Reply #884 on: November 23, 2007, 07:47:50 AM »
Hi everybody, my name's Tom. I've been listening for about a year and a half, and I'd call myself a casual film watcher (I keep up with the new releases, but can never afford to go to many).  I've been studying in Central Europe for the past two months, and I've started going through Netflix withdrawal.  I've been holed up in a flat in Bratislava for two weeks with nothing but an internet connection, and I've been catching up on all of the Filmspotting that I have missed.  I'm finally joining the forum because, well, I don't speak Slovak so there aren't a whole lot of people to talk to in the physical world, so I'm delving into the virtual.

My other favorite podcasts are: The Naked Scientists, This American Life, Wait Wait . . . Don't Tell Me, and The Bugle.

I guess that's it

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #885 on: November 23, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »
Welcome, Tom... we'll be glad to keep you company.  Now, for the important stuff... how do you feel about cheese?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #886 on: November 23, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »
Welcome, Tom!  What you studying?  Where else have you traveled?  Any favorite spots?  How much longer will you be over there?  Have you visited local cinemas during your travels?  If so, noteworthy observations?  Then the more obvious questions about favorite films and whatnot for all the other threads, including describing your screen name.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #887 on: November 23, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Hi, Tom,
Welcome to the boards! I feel for you without your Netflix - I think I'd go through some serious separation anxiety without it. Can you watch anything via Netflix online?

Think_Long

« Reply #888 on: November 23, 2007, 12:35:55 PM »
first off: I love cheese. The Czechs have a way of preparing it, essentially just deep frying it and serving it with fried potatoes.  excellent stuff

I'm an anthropology student from the University of Minnesota (also my state/city of origin).  Right now I'm working on a project about Roma (gypsy) settlements in Slovakia, but I'll be returning to Prague where my program is based next week.  I plan on returning home to the great US of A before Christmas.

oneaprilday- I feel ignorant, but I have no idea what netflix online is.  I'll have to look into that

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #889 on: November 23, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
If you have a high-speed internet connection, you should be able to do it. Click on the "Watch Now" tab on the Netflix site. The movie selection is limited, but it's better than nothing!  :)

love