love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755260 times)

lise

• Elite Member
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #900 on: November 26, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
oooh Shallow Grave is one of those movies that I somehow never manage to turn off once it comes on. It is like a quick antidote to my channel surfing problem. :)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #901 on: November 26, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »
oooh Shallow Grave is one of those movies that I somehow never manage to turn off once it comes on. It is like a quick antidote to my channel surfing problem. :)

yes... oh yes.

(not) pixote

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #902 on: December 03, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm committing a faux pas by introducing myself on my 4th post (I haven't said anything cruel/controversial yet, so hopefully I'm cool).

My name's Joe and I'm just finishing my fist semester towards a PhD in English Lit.  I also adjunct at a local community college (for the money, of course) and I occasionally try to spend time with my wife and two kids.

I've been listening for approx. 6 months, shortly before the Sam/Matty switch.  I also listen to Watching the Directors, Mark Kermode's Film Reviews, and a smattering of NPR news/politics shows, with Kevin Smith's Smodcast being a guilty, dirty pleasure.

While I spend quite a bit of time watching movies, I'm more of a music Nazi than a movie Nazi.  Here's hoping I can become the latter on this board.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #903 on: December 03, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm committing a faux pas by introducing myself on my 4th post (I haven't said anything cruel/controversial yet, so hopefully I'm cool).

My name's Joe and I'm just finishing my fist semester towards a PhD in English Lit.  I also adjunct at a local community college (for the money, of course) and I occasionally try to spend time with my wife and two kids.

I've been listening for approx. 6 months, shortly before the Sam/Matty switch.  I also listen to Watching the Directors, Mark Kermode's Film Reviews, and a smattering of NPR news/politics shows, with Kevin Smith's Smodcast being a guilty, dirty pleasure.

While I spend quite a bit of time watching movies, I'm more of a music Nazi than a movie Nazi.  Here's hoping I can become the latter on this board.

Hi! Welcome, Joe. I don't think you've made any kind of faux pas - everyone's pretty cool around here, at least so I've seen in my month or so on the boards.

Nice to see another English lit person around! I have a Masters in English lit and am teaching part time at a local community college as well - also for money  :)

Like your taste in podcasts - there are a number of Kermode listeners here, too - myself included.

What's your lit speciality/interest? Dissertation focus?

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #904 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:30 AM »
There are other Kermode fans here! Good! I've always had this fear that maybe he was the British equivalent of Joel Siegel over there and that I've just been fooled by the accent (There's an Arrested Development reference in there somewhere).

My focus is 20th Century Lit-- both American and British-- and I tend to take a Reader-Response/Narratological approach.  In fact, I'm currently screwing around on this board while ignoring the Eliot, Joyce, and Heaney papers I need to be writing.

Are you full-time at your Community College?  Do you like it?  I love it, myself, and have considered forgoing the PhD and just teaching at the CC level.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way!

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #905 on: December 03, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
Hey Joe,

Thanks for posting.  I was hoping you would.  That way I can ask you about your avatar without seeming too forward.  Of the many avatars, yours really strikes a chord with me.  It is my belief that one's choice in avatar says a lot about the person, and if that is true, we are going to get along like gangbusters.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #906 on: December 03, 2007, 11:47:58 AM »
You're a Freaks & Geeks fan, alexarch?  Or you just like the look of the avatar?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #907 on: December 03, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »
You're a Freaks & Geeks fan, alexarch?  Or you just like the look of the avatar?
The look.  It disturbs me at a core level, but also delights me with how incredibly pointed, accurate, and of a moment it is.

Plus, you didn't note the similarity in poses?

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #908 on: December 03, 2007, 11:57:03 AM »
Hey Joe!  I'm a Smodcast fan myself, so don't feel too dirty about it ;)  I guess I'll have to watch my grammar around you, eh? Welcome to the boards, can't wait for you to say something controversial. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #909 on: December 03, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
I'm committing a faux pas by introducing myself on my 4th post...

4th post is a lot better than some people...  ;)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad