love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755284 times)

cinechic

• cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake
    • DC Shorts Film Festival
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #990 on: December 28, 2007, 08:10:28 PM »
I'm getting my degree in Media Studies, with my little "specialty" being Cinema Studies. I just finished a paper on audience theory and reception in Kubrick film - yay film theory. I hope to eventually get my Ph.D in Cinema Studies and teach.
Any aspirations for your grad school destination?

Oh, I have a big list, but I'm alway open for suggestions and help. My dream schools are USC, Columbia, and NYU, but I'm dreaming big. I've  got Iowa, Kansas, UCSB, Boston U, Miami, Emory, New School or MIT (for Media), UW Madison or Maryland or Indiana (for Comp Lit). Yikes! I have no clue where to begin!

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #991 on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
I'm applying to a number of those right now. I myself dropped Columbia because it wasn't really focused on Cinema Studies as much as it was an MFA program. It does have a criticism program, but I don't find it very impressive. I also nixed all the UCs because I didn't want to go to California (I considered Berkeley but it didn't really fit my interests). I really really like Emory and Iowa. I also applied to NYU because I felt obligated by their quality and it is the closest geographic choice (I was really underwhelmed by New School). I applied to Indiana but it is pretty far down on my list. They don't seem to be that supportive and I fear that they may be the kind of program that exploits it's grad students as cheap comp 101 labor preventing them from completing their dissertation. I never looked into Kansas, or MIT that much and Maryland didn't impress. I thought about BU for awhile, but my other choices seemed better. Miami also didn't really fit with my interests. I would endorse Iowa, Emory and Madison, as I'm happily applying to each of them. Concordia, Indiana and Ohio are my safety schools. Depending on your interests, you may really like Rochester, especially as they are up and coming. My top school is Brown, but I have a particular interest in Cultural Studies. I would also suggest U of Chicago. They didn't really fit in for me and are competitive as hell, but they sport some of the best minds.

I would really suggest working with a lot of factors. For instance, you should really consider the research interests of the Profs and the grad students when you're researching a school. Also, figure out what else is important to you. Do you want to move far? I myself had to consider how easy or hard it would be for me to live as a vegan in the city I'd be in. It's not just school, it's the way you'll be spending the next 2 to 7 years of your life.

If you're interested in leaving the country, there are a number of canadian programs and tons of programs in Great Britain.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

cinechic

• cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake
    • DC Shorts Film Festival
« Reply #992 on: December 28, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »
Wow, thanks! I'll definitely look into all those - I'm still in undergrad so I have no clue how to go about it, how to research all of those things.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #993 on: December 28, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »
Hopefully I'll be enrolled by April and matriculated by September, so then I'll be more help.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

KRiTiC

« Reply #994 on: December 29, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
Hey everybody!

I was told to come and say hi here, so here we go  ::)

Im not a new listener, but only just registered on the boards (bit late eh)

Im Scottish (not Canadian: "eh") and film is my passion.

I have not seen No Country For Old Men (yet) because I live in UK.......JANUARY  :'(

So there is a little intro  :-[

Rob
Have 2 what.cd Invites to give Away!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #995 on: December 29, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »
Welcome, Rob,

Loved Scotland and plan to return for a Highlands tour soon.

Find a thread you're interested in, post and stick around.  We're all film crazy around here.

Texan Down Under

KRiTiC

« Reply #996 on: December 29, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
is there a thread where i can discuss my rage on I Am Legend?

::)

Rob

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #997 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »
is there a thread where i can discuss my rage on I Am Legend?

::)

Rob

Yes, there is.  Have fun :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Aaron

« Reply #998 on: December 31, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
Hey everybody!

I was told to come and say hi here, so here we go  ::)

Im not a new listener, but only just registered on the boards (bit late eh)

Im Scottish (not Canadian: "eh") and film is my passion.

I have not seen No Country For Old Men (yet) because I live in UK.......JANUARY  :'(

So there is a little intro  :-[

Rob
Hola, Rob
Where do you rent DVD's?

KRiTiC

« Reply #999 on: January 02, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »
I dont rent dvd's i tend to just buy them.