love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755485 times)

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #1120 on: January 19, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
Hello Colleen!

I think I have more films in my Netflix queue than the stock at my local Blockbuster. I should catch up by the time I'm 98.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1121 on: January 19, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »
She's an artist that qorks in a lot of mediums, but she loves crafts.

...and "qorks" takes the early lead for neologism of the year.  What a great word.  Don't you dare tell me it was a typo.  I refuse to think that little of you.

Also, welcome to the boards, Colleen!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #1122 on: January 19, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »
In the rest of my life, I like the TV shows Moonlight and Doctor Who and that's pretty much it these days; I mostly catch up on TV in Netflix otherwise.  I read tons of books and like to make papercrafts and collage stuff.  I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have been entertaining myself by making things like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58679393@N00/2131224415/

Gingerbread zombies!  (xmas presents for zombie-fan friends)

Those are so awesome.  (Also, Alex was spot on.)  I used to spend a lot of time on Craftster — I really should head back there someday.

Have you seen knitted Shaun of the Dead?  I always wanted to embroider a particular scene from that film.

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #1123 on: January 19, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
She's an artist that qorks in a lot of mediums, but she loves crafts.

...and "qorks" takes the early lead for neologism of the year.  What a great word.  Don't you dare tell me it was a typo.  I refuse to think that little of you.

It's such a perfect description. :)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1124 on: January 19, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
Hadn't seen the knitted before but have been coveting this one on etsy.com:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8366447

Which I found while coveting this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=7072192

Which has, alas, been sold.  Oh well.  It's not like I could afford $40 for that anyway.

Nice to meet you all, thanks for the warm welcome!

Colleen  (oh and our etsy store is lifeattherancho.etsy.com for the record...)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #1125 on: January 19, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Hadn't seen the knitted before but have been coveting this one on etsy.com:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8366447

Which I found while coveting this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=7072192

Which has, alas, been sold.  Oh well.  It's not like I could afford $40 for that anyway.

Nice to meet you all, thanks for the warm welcome!

Colleen  (oh and our etsy store is lifeattherancho.etsy.com for the record...)

the rancho sounds awesome!  reminds me of Big Love's backyard.  chosen family is the best :)

and, the cards look great
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

McD

« Reply #1126 on: January 20, 2008, 07:55:45 AM »
Hello my friends and neighbours.

I joined these boards a while back but a combination of laziness, forgetfulness and Eliot Ness saw me shamefully drift away. Every week I listen to FS and scold myself that I must spend a bit of time in this place, so here is my attempt to do the right thing.

I'm 26, I live in Dundee, Scotland, with my wife and six month old son and work currently as a sub-editor for the local evening newspaper here. I used to be an occasional film critic for the paper, but it's been difficult to fit that in recently what with parenthood and all that that crazy state entails.

That's the boring stuff out of the way so I shall depart with what I'd consider my Desert Island Movies - Mulholland Drive, His Girl Friday, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Morvern Callar, Ninotchka, Red River, Paris Texas, Vertigo, Videodrome, Uzak, The Passenger, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Lilya 4-ever, The Blood of a Poet, If......, Escape From New York, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Black Narcissus, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Marie Antoinette, Pickpocket, Tokyo Story etc etc etc
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:04:00 PM by McD »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1127 on: January 20, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »
That's the boring stuff out of the way so I shall depart with what I'd consider my Desert Island Movies - Mulholland Drive, His Girl Friday, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Morvern Callar, Ninotchka, Red River, Paris Texas, Vertigo, Videodrome, Uzak, The Passenger, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Lilya 4-ever, The Blood of a Poet, If......, Escape From New York, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Black Narcissus, Pickpocket, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Marie Antoinette, Pickpocket, Tokyo Story etc etc etc

Welcome back, McD.  Wow, what a great list.  I just added Lovers of the Arctic Circle and Uzak to my queue, based solely on the company they're keeping on your list.

One quesiton: Movern Callar over Ratcatcher?

edit: Okay, two questions.  The second: How does Uzak compare to Climates?

pixote
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:12:21 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

McD

« Reply #1128 on: January 20, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »
That's the boring stuff out of the way so I shall depart with what I'd consider my Desert Island Movies - Mulholland Drive, His Girl Friday, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Morvern Callar, Ninotchka, Red River, Paris Texas, Vertigo, Videodrome, Uzak, The Passenger, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Lilya 4-ever, The Blood of a Poet, If......, Escape From New York, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Black Narcissus, Pickpocket, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Marie Antoinette, Pickpocket, Tokyo Story etc etc etc

Welcome back, McD.  Wow, what a great list.  I just added Lovers of the Arctic Circle and Uzak to my queue, based solely on the company they're keeping on your list.

One quesiton: Movern Callar over Ratcatcher?

edit: Okay, two questions.  The second: How does Uzak compare to Climates?

pixote

I would certainly put Morvern Callar as a step on from Ratcatcher, yes, it's a visual and aural delight, richer and stronger in tone. It also has the benefits of Samantha Morton's presence. Hopefully Lynne Ramsay makes another movie soon.

Uzak has alot of the same stylistic and thematic qualities to Climates, those spare, serene compositions, that angry urban loneliness, but Uzak has a keener sense of black humour that I think gives it the slight edge. Still, both beautiful, bleak films.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:14:06 PM by McD »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1129 on: January 20, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
Also: Nice new avatar.

pixote

love