love

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 755298 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #4700 on: January 22, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
NO... you had to say you preferred DIE HARD.... not that other movie...

I included the link in my other thread you posted in, but only go there if you get it right.

Also.. just kidding, vote as you wish and stick around for a while or forever.

Tbh, growing up, I actually saw the Die Hard movies, and can't even recall seeing Back to the Future. Strange childhood. 

Don't have a strong compulsion to see...either?  Am I banned yet?

E.T. over both, anyway.  ;)
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #4701 on: January 22, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »
Banned?  no. But it sounds like you must prefer Die Hard over BTTF. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4702 on: January 23, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
Welcome etdoesgood

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4703 on: January 23, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
I'm sure others will chime in here and send you to some threads ...

* leaves trail of Reese's Pieces *

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4704 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
Banned?  no. But it sounds like you must prefer Die Hard over BTTF.

Yes, make that a vote for Die Hard.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4705 on: January 24, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »
He is the Chosen One, who brought balance to the force.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Keil S.

« Reply #4706 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
Hello.

My name is Keil (sounds like Kyle), and -- while I technically created my forum profile in 2011 -- I have only posted once before today.  I am a lifelong film buff from Texas who is rapidly approaching his 40th birthday.  I loved movies like most kids growing up, but pretty early on I took this appreciation one step further.  Examples:

- In 1989 (at age 10/almost 11) I was cutting newspaper clippings of the summer movie ads, pasting them into a stapled booklet of white printer pages, and then rating the films from 1-4 as I saw them.  I would add voice bubbles next to the ads with pencil and put the number rating in the bubble. 

- By middle school, I started getting issues of Entertainment Weekly (then in its infancy), and I began keeping a log in a spiral notebook of every movie they reviewed, their letter grade rating for it, and then next to that I would draw a backslash and include my own letter grade rating for it once I saw it.  This is only partially why I still have a good idea of which years movies from the early-mid 1990s came out, and also why I still have forgotten film titles like Shakma, May Fools, and Life is Cheap...but Toilet Paper is Expensive rattling around in my brain.

- In 9th grade I watched The Godfather Parts 1 and 2 over a two-night period on TV and my love for movies took on a whole new level.  Suddenly I wanted to read about movies, watch award-winning movies, track down foreign films, watch numerous movies by specific directors, and perhaps even pursue a job in filmmaking some day.

- When I moved from my cultural wasteland town to Austin for college in 1996, I didn't give my academics the time and attention they deserved -- but I certainly took advantage of Austin's film scene.  I was constantly going to the movies, including obscure flicks that would become lifelong faves (like the documentary 'Hands on a Hard Body').

- While I ultimately did NOT become a filmmaker (I'm a teacher), I continued writing film reviews for the local paper off and on for many years until moving to the DFW area of Texas about a decade ago.  I still watch movies when I can, though this has been made tougher following the very recent arrival of my first (and likely only) child.  I have a massive film collection (yes, I still buy physical media), and I still harbor aspirations to add a home theater onto my house some day.  I am also a huge music buff and compulsive list-maker.  In short, I'm probably like a thousand other people in this forum.  Thanks for taking the time to read through this, and I look forward to taking my status as "occasional Filmspotting listener" to the next level in 2018.

Other Info:

Letterboxd Username: Keil
Favorite Currently Working Filmmakers: probably Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen Brothers
Most Anticipated Film of 2018 (Hopefully not 2019): The Modern Ocean (by Shane Carruth)
Favorite Foreign Film of All Time: The 400 Blows
Favorite Film Decade: the 1970s
Favorite TV Series of All Time: The Wire and The Sopranos (though not enough love and respect is given to the entirety of The Shield, which -- in my opinion -- contains the greatest series finale ever made).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:36:34 AM by Keil S. »
Letterboxd Username: Keil
icheckmovies: Keil

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4707 on: February 03, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Welcome Keil! It does sound like you'll fit right in here.

I still prefer physical media too, I just bought four new Blu-Rays (Underground, The Best Intentions, Raw Deal & Funeral Parade of Roses). Although I must admit I rarely touch my collection these days. It's usually watch it once, then stick it on the shelf to gather dust with the others. Maybe twice a year I'll pull one out to show it to someone. Ah well, I like the feeling of just having them.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #4708 on: February 03, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
Welcome, Keil! And, congratulations on your new baby. :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4709 on: February 03, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Welcome Keil

love