Author Topic: Bracket regrets?  (Read 10467 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Bracket regrets?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
I regret picking Little Odessa to be in the bracket instead of Carlito's Way...

I regret that, too.

...though I should probably see Little Odessa before saying that.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »
I regret that ive only joined now.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
I regret kicking out Searching for Bobby Fischer and Crooklyn.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
no regrets, though i did surprise myself with a couple of decisions:

Round 1
Clerks. over Pulp Fiction, and really, no regrets here, Clerks. has much more going for it, though i understand some of the arguments for PF

i wasn't very excited about either American Movie or Welcome to the Dollhouse, but AM is more deserving for several reasons

again, the Contact v Private Ryan match-up was uninspiring, neither could have made it out of the first round and i wouldn't have been bothered

my Round 1 winners:
Clerks.
The Book of Life
Kids
Safe
American Movie
American History X
Contact

Round 2
started things off with the difficult Paris Is Burning v The Truman Show - i was surprised by how much i liked Truman though i ended up leaving it behind

my second pair was another difficult one, more because i didn't think too much of either The Usual Suspects or Six Degrees of Separation.  sorry, sean

going into the match-up i thought The Matrix would edge Eyes Wide Shut, after two screenings of each - but more importantlyThe Matrix - i came to a completely new and irritated opinion of The Matrix and caught a brilliant essay on Eyes Wide Shut that affirmed what i was already (kinda) thinking.

my Round 2 winners
Paris Is Burning
The Usual Suspects
The Joy Luck Club
Eyes Wide Shut

Round 3
following the lopsidedness of Eyes v Matrix, i had the bracket's cellar-dweller Wayne's World against the brilliant Glengarry.  an insult that Glengarry should have been considered against such a self-admittedly unworthy product

i was fairly surprised to pick Election over Scorsese's My Voyage to Italy, but Voyage was completely mundane AND Election was quite good

i figured Idaho would easily walk over When We Were Kings, but Kings started strong and fell into the crapper, while Idaho started weak (i though, but does it?) and proves brilliant

my Round 3 winners
Glengarry Glen Ross
Election
My Own Private Idaho
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »
I got one wrong.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 10:15:35 PM »
My bracket regret is that I don't understand what this is all about or how I could get involved (preferably in something that doesn't involve the far east).

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
My bracket regret is that I don't understand what this is all about or how I could get involved (preferably in something that doesn't involve the far east).

The 80's Bracket is still going. Feel free to take my year old match up, I likely will never get to it with Master and Commander chugging along (almost have had La Dolce Vita [so CINECAST!ing long!] for a month from Netflix!), Day Watch, Personal Interest stuff, and whatever anime I need to watch for my Global Animated Film final paper (though this should ensure that La Dolce Vita gets watched). But yeah, the 90's one is over.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »
Yeah, just post in this thread saying you want a match-up. After that you just watch the films, write up a verdict and repeat the process.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
"I regret that I didn't make a big enough for the '90s European bracket."

"Let it rest, Sam."

"Never."

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »