Poll

Which category should be part of the 2009 Filmspots?

Casting
Ensemble Cast

Author Topic: Filmspots 2009: Casting vs. Ensemble Cast  (Read 8909 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: Filmspots 2009: Casting vs. Ensemble Cast
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »
Hmm... I thought this was a pretty important distinction... until I saw those results side-by-side. I kinda doubt either set would be much different under the other name.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
I think it was the Grindhouse nomination that got me thinking about this originally.  Was it nominated because the performances were all so great?  Or because omg! there were so many people in that movie!

(Then again, it was really just Death Proof that most people were nominating.  Oh what confusing times those were.  Confusing, confusing times.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »
I suppose it's a bit like sound editing. We could have a category for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing, and some people, including myself, wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Hey, I didn't vote for Sound Editing this year cause I had no idea.

I suppose the same goes of Ensemble Cast and Casting. And if we had both, I suppose we'd have to give better guidelines to understand what we're voting for.

Anyway. I suppose I'm happy either way.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
I voted Ensemble and not Casting - assumed it was just labeled wrong because there's like never any award given for casting.  Isn;t that part of direction (According to Darren Aronofsky it was).

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 10:14:13 PM »
Casting is the choosing of which actors will play each role. A film could have two characters total and have brilliant casting, but that wouldn't be a good ensemble.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »
I voted Ensemble and not Casting - assumed it was just labeled wrong because there's like never any award given for casting.  Isn;t that part of direction (According to Darren Aronofsky it was).
There is a casting director, and their names were listed on the ballot. The director would've played a role, certainly, and probably a big one. But the casting director would do a lot of screening, tests, auditions and the like before the director sees them, especially if they're not a known actor.

I would say casting is different to directing tho, even if the director plays a large role in the process.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »
There is a casting director, and their names were listed on the ballot. The director would've played a role, certainly, and probably a big one. But the casting director would do a lot of screening, tests, auditions and the like before the director sees them, especially if they're not a known actor.

I would say casting is different to directing tho, even if the director plays a large role in the process.

Plus, the director plays a large part in everything.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »

For above the title cast members I believe the casting director doesn't actually do all that much.  Esp in a films that was created for someone - as in the instance of The Wrestler.  Or a big budget hollywood film where the producer/money says we need X to get a 25 million opening weekend.  Anyone with some more insider knowledge want to weigh in.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »
The Wrestler wasn't made specifically for Rourke tho. Someone (I forget who) was already cast and stepped aside for Rourke, at which point the movie changed yes, but Rourke was still a casting decision, separate to the direction. And it's good casting too. That' separate again from his performance and the performance of anyone else in the film, which is what's required for Ensemble Cast.

At least to me.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
The Wrestler wasn't made specifically for Rourke tho. Someone (I forget who) was already cast and stepped aside for Rourke, at which point the movie changed yes, but Rourke was still a casting decision, separate to the direction. And it's good casting too. That' separate again from his performance and the performance of anyone else in the film, which is what's required for Ensemble Cast.

At least to me.

According to Aronofsky he always wanted Rourke. But I rarely believe when directors say that.

love