Author Topic: Filmspots 2008: Official Winners  (Read 37730 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Filmspots 2008: Official Winners
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Only you are to blame for your support of Blockbuster.

hater :P

actually now that we've dropped cable and set up a 'puter to provide TV content i'm thinking of switching to Netflix.

I feel like I'm always talking about my Netflix luv on here, yet Blockbuster's recent announcement that they are going to add games to their by-mail service made me go hmmmm, maybe I should change to Blockbuster!
But I do love the watch-now option on Netflix...if Netflix adds games I'll go ahead and sign up for a lifetime membership!  Plus they aren't evil, at least not in the irritating ways Blockbuster has been over the years (edited versions, banning unrated/NC17 movies, CEO donations to loathsome people/groups etc).

aw crap, now I didn't know about the games thing...

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
Only you are to blame for your support of Blockbuster.

hater :P

actually now that we've dropped cable and set up a 'puter to provide TV content i'm thinking of switching to Netflix.

I feel like I'm always talking about my Netflix luv on here, yet Blockbuster's recent announcement that they are going to add games to their by-mail service made me go hmmmm, maybe I should change to Blockbuster!
But I do love the watch-now option on Netflix...if Netflix adds games I'll go ahead and sign up for a lifetime membership!  Plus they aren't evil, at least not in the irritating ways Blockbuster has been over the years (edited versions, banning unrated/NC17 movies, CEO donations to loathsome people/groups etc).

aw crap, now I didn't know about the games thing...

The games thing almost makes me switch, but not quite, Instant Watch is too good.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
The one thing I would propose is to slightly delay the nomination process.  Many people didn't get to watch films until after the nominations were due, hence some pretty sad omissions.
But that would give very little time to catch up on the ones that are actually nominated, no?

Is that what you want, like a 1 week turnaround from nominations to final voting?

The films that get nominated are the ones that most people have already seen anyway.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »
Top 5 Upsets

I meant to post this earlier, but forgot.  This comes from comparing cases where the leading vote-getter in the nominations didn't go on to win the category:

5. Best Scene (Emotion):  The final scene from Wendy and Lucy and the space dance from WALL·E looked the strongest after the nominations, but it seems that the voters who like the piano tuning scene Flight on the Red Balloon really like that scene.  It only appeared on one more final ballot than it did nominations ballots, but that was enough.  Wendy and Lucy, on the other hand, appeared on one less ballot.

4. Best Adapted ScreenplayWendy and Lucy was the last film nominated, with less than half the support of Paranoid Park, Slumdog Millionaire, or Doubt.  But voters didn't rally around any one of those films on the final ballot, while Wendy and Lucy's core supporters stayed true, adding one more voter to their number.

3. Most Surprising FilmIn Bruges ran away with the nominations votes, but Chop Shop gained just enough support to pull ahead on the final ballot.

2. Best SoundtrackMy Blueberry Nights was the last nominated film, but it hung in there against heavy favorite Slumdog Millionaire on the final ballot, with one extra vote being enough to take the category.

1. Best PictureWALL·E crushed the nominations stage, but second-place finisher The Wrestler snuck ahead in the end.  We've discussed this already, I think.

And one extra note:

Best Director:  I'd forgotten that Aronofosky had the most support in the nominations, ahead of Stanton.  Van Sant was third, but he went on the win the category pretty handily, probably because Milk was no longer there to split his votes.

pixote
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:53:50 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2009, 09:49:52 AM »
ok, I thought Wall-e had won, and now the wrestler has won. How did this happen?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »
ok, I thought Wall-e had won, and now the wrestler has won. How did this happen?

I happened.  ;D
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass