Poll

I'd prefer:

Separate categories for "Best Score" and "Best Soundtrack"
20 (64.5%)
A single, combined category for "Best Music"
11 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Filmspots 2009: Music Categories  (Read 7159 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Filmspots 2009: Music Categories
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
screw wikipedia ;)

:)

I guess that's just semantics anyways. My point is just that I think there should be a category for original music, and one for non-original music. Currently we have original music, and original music + non-original music, which seems weird.

See I see the distinction differently in that it should be between an instrumental composer and a pop songwriter.  also imma go change that wiki article because the citation says nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure what a pop songwriter is, Wikipedia doesn't have an article for that. ;)

Are you saying that lyrics distinguish score from song? I guess I can see that, but if I understand you right my argument stands for your perspective, combining both into "Best Soundtrack" isn't allowing them to be considered individually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

A song is a musical composition which contains vocal parts that are performed, 'sung,' and feature words (lyrics), commonly accompanied by musical instruments (exceptions would be a cappella songs). The words of songs are typically of a poetic, rhyming nature, although they may be religious verses or free prose. The words are the lyrics.

;D

Let me rephrase that. Are you saying that lyrics, or vocals disqualify a piece of music from score?

Smartass. ;D

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »
Seperate categories plus Best Song. 
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »
Separate because even to an amateur like me these are clearly distinct in my mind.

Score is the overall background music, generally instrumental, composed for the movie.

Soundtrack is the collection of songs and incidental music that go with the movie.

I also agree that there should be a best song category.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »
having just listened to True Romance for the brackets, it is scores similar to this that very rarely improve their films, seems a pity for that to get jumbled into one musical mess that will likely favor the latest Tarantino soundtrack

Wait. Are you saying you didn't like the ode-to-Badlands music in True Romance? I have a bad feeling about this.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
Separate because even to an amateur like me these are clearly distinct in my mind.

Yeah that makes sense.

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »

Yeah that makes sense.

I agree that it makes sense, but at the end of the day, in my pea-brain when I'm watching something, I automatically file the instrumental under "score" and the non-instrumental under "soundtrack".  I'm not terribly interested in what is original/created for the film, and what is previously created but used in an excellent way.  In the end, it's just not something that I personally care enough about to sort out so I'd actually probably prefer a "best use of music" category, though I know I would be in a tiny minority. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
...I'd actually probably prefer a "best use of music" category, though I know I would be in a tiny minority. 

47.8% isn't that tiny... or are you distinguishing between "Best Music" and "Best Use of Music"?

I'm surprised by the results so far...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
...I'd actually probably prefer a "best use of music" category, though I know I would be in a tiny minority. 

47.8% isn't that tiny... or are you distinguishing between "Best Music" and "Best Use of Music"?

I was distinguishing.  Maybe more specifically I'd go with "best non-lyrical"/"best lyrical" since that's the score/soundtrack breakdown in my mind.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »
I think we need a third option for two separate, but redefined categories.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
Let's redefine them first, then I'll add the results as a third option.  Or would the categories have the same names as current?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad