Author Topic: Random Excerpt  (Read 32377 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Random Excerpt
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
I decided to follow the call. I did more. In the front yard I made a little bonfire of The Mayor of Casterbridge and Shelley and Keats, and the professor's notes. and went home to wait for the storm to beat about my head.
Nothing happened. Nobody seemed to have told my father anything. No message came from the dean. Perhaps it hadn't been much of a bonfire. Books aren't so easy to burn, unless you have a good fire already going. And it was possible that in the untidiness and noise of the university front yard, with the life of the streets just there, what I was doing in a little corner mightn't have seemed so strange.
I felt more useless than ever.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »
You're reading Naipaul too? How do you like it so far?

I like this part too:

"His mind is diseased. He hates me and he hates his mother, and now he has turned against himself. This is what the missionaries have done to him with Mom and Pop and Dick Tracy and the Justice Society of America comic magazine, and Christ on the Cross movies in Passion Week, and Bogart and Cagney and George Raft the rest of the time. I cannot deal rationally with this kind of hatred. I will deal with it in the way of the mahatma. I will ignore it. I will keep a vow of silence so far as he is concerned."

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
I just started today, enjoying it so far.
University demands I read these too: Turn in the South, A Writer's People and the biography The World is What it is. So far, I say why not..

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:27:10 AM »
Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan. I haven't read any of these. I've just stuck to the fiction so far. Let me know how you found these if you don't mind?

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
This thread is so cool yet criminally underused/rated.

Quote from: [url=http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/097/666/400000000000000097666_s4.jpg]Patrick French[/url]
I remember at a formal dinner after a conference seeing Naipaul being presented with a plate of what appeared to be meat (it was baked endive, hiding beneath a cruste of melted cheese) and as the waiter attempted to set it before him, he said: 'That is not my food. That is not my food. That is not my food. That is not my food.' Each time he said the words, he altered their implication. When the confusion was explained to him, he accepted the plate meekly, saying 'Ah.'
I love it when the introductory chapter of a book totally sells me on what is to follow.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »
Someone, he said, ought to draw up a catalogue of types of buildings listed in order of size, and it would be immediately obvious that domestic buildings of less than normal size - the little cottage in the fields, the hermitage, the lockkeeper's lodge, the pavilion for viewing the landscape, the children's bothy in the garden - are those that offer us at least a semblance of peace, whereas no one in his right mind could truthfully say that he liked a vast edifice such as the Palace of Justice on the old Gallows Hill in Brussels. At the most we gaze at it in wonder, a kind of wonder which in itself is a form of dawning horror, for somehow we know by instinct that outsize buildings cast the shadow of their own destruction before them, and are designed from the first with an eye to their later existence as ruins.

from Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »

-Maus, Art Spiegelman
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
-Maus, Art Spiegelman
I loved this Junior. If I still had Sandman, I'd be scanning in an excerpt.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
-Maus, Art Spiegelman
I loved this Junior. If I still had Sandman, I'd be scanning in an excerpt.

I just searched for "Maus panel" in google and picked the best one. You should try it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »

-Sandman - Three Septembers and a January - Fables and Reflections N. Gaiman