Author Topic: Random Excerpt  (Read 32368 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Random Excerpt
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
That reminds me that I need to finished that series. Perhaps this week!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »

Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »

-Zot! Scott McCloud

This scene doesn't involve Jenny (the main girl) and Zot is kinda small, but it is a great moment.

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »
The Tempest Act 4, scene 1

Prospero:
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on
; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

A slight variation on The Maltese Falcon. Shakespeare should have checked with Bogart before borrowing it.

bb6634

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 03:09:14 AM »
From 'The Secret History" by Donna Tartt:

"It was heart-breaking. Glorious. Torches, dizziness, singing.  Wolves howling around us and a bull bellowing in the dark.  The river ran white.  It was like a film in fast motion, the moon waxing and waning, clouds rushing across the sky.  Vines grew from the ground so fast they twined up the trees like snakes; seasons passing in a wink of an eye, entire years for all I know..."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »

Bone: Ghost Circles - Jeff Smith.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
"...It's not like I wanted to get my period. And, well, mine are kind of on the heavy side anyway. The first day or two, I don't want to do anything. Make sure you keep away from me then."
"I'd like to, but how can I tell?" I asked.
"O.K., I'll wear a hat for a couple days after my period starts. A red one. That should work," she said with a laugh. "If you see me on the street and I'm wearing a red hat, don't talk to me, just run away."
"Great. I wish all girls would do that," I said.

-Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
Someone, he said, ought to draw up a catalogue of types of buildings listed in order of size, and it would be immediately obvious that domestic buildings of less than normal size - the little cottage in the fields, the hermitage, the lockkeeper's lodge, the pavilion for viewing the landscape, the children's bothy in the garden - are those that offer us at least a semblance of peace, whereas no one in his right mind could truthfully say that he liked a vast edifice such as the Palace of Justice on the old Gallows Hill in Brussels. At the most we gaze at it in wonder, a kind of wonder which in itself is a form of dawning horror, for somehow we know by instinct that outsize buildings cast the shadow of their own destruction before them, and are designed from the first with an eye to their later existence as ruins.

from Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald
Behold! Jerry Jones's Ego:

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
From A House for Mr. Biswas by VS Naipaul:

"He had never been able to undrestand why it1 was considered a comic story. Debt was a fearful thing; and with all its ifs and might-have-beens the story came too near the truth: hope followed by blight, the passing of years, the passing of life itself, and then the revelation of waste: Oh, my poor Matilda! But they were false!"

1 - The Necklace, a short story by Guy de Maupassant

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
"She was still young then, they both were, my father and my mother, younger certainly than I am now. How strange a thing that is to think of. Everybody seems to be younger than I am, even the dead."

"I did not hate them. I loved them, probably. Only they were in my way, obscuring my view of the future. In time I would be able to see right through them, my transparent parents."

"Had it been in my power I would have canceled my shaming parents on the spot, my fat little bare-faced mother and my father whose body might have been made of lard."

"I have developed too a queasy fascination with the processes of my body, the gradual ones, the way for instance my hair and my fingernails insistently keep growing, no matter what state I am in, what anguish I may be undergoing. It seems so inconsiderate, so heedless of circumstance, this relentless generation of matter that is already dead, in the same way that animals will keep going on about their animal business, unaware or uncaring that their master sprawled on his cold bed upstairs with mouth agape and eyes glazed over will not be coming down, ever again, to dish out the kibble or take the key to that last tin of sardines."

- The Sea, John Banville.

Re-reading the random excerpts I am surprised I am enjoying the book as much as I am. Seems so unpleasant.

love