love

Author Topic: #248: Gomorrah / If.... / Top 5 Movies We Probably Got Wrong  (Read 5960 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: #248: Gomorrah / If.... / Top 5 Movies We Probably Got Wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:57:17 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this episode, it should help me decide whether to purchase Gamorrah onDemand, take like a 30-45 minute ride to see it on screen, or just wait for the DVD. Can't wait to listen.

henchman

• CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A DAMN PODCAST!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
Wow, I'm extremely intrigued by Gomorrah now, the review was fantastic and sounds like it's right down my alley.
I just watched the trailer and am convinced. Thanks again to opening my eyes to another potentially awesome movie.
www.adamnpodcast.com
IF YOU LIKE FILMSPOTTING, DOWNLOAD OUR PODCAST TODAY!!

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »
I did love gomorrah when I first saw it, but had a strange reaction to it. after the opening scene, I was scared by it, and jumped out of my seat any time a gun was shot, which was very strange. I was dissecting every frame, scraed some guy was going to come out and shoot someone in the head. the last time I felt that way was with No Country For Old Men.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
Sin City really holds up on second and third viewings.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
I still say the #1 movie they you guys need to revisit is Kingdom of Heaven in its Director's Cut form. It's Scott's best film since Blade Runner, but because of the incredibly mediocre theatrical cut nobody has seen the true masterpiece.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:16:56 PM by 1StrongOpinion »

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Matty, spot on on your criticism of Reds. That love triangle makes little sense. Here was my take on it when I saw it last year:

Just finished Reds (1981). I am deeply, deeply conflicted about this film. Things I really liked: direction and cinematography, Warren Beatty as Reed (my favorite performance of his that I've seen), Maureen Stapleton as Emma Goldman, locations and sets, the treatment of the Radical Left (both good and bad), the old "witnesses". Things I didn't really like: Jack Nicholson as O'Neill (despite the Massacre Theater line!), Diane Keaton as Louise Bryant (sorta an incoherent character), the fact that all the major characters are not sympathetic, the not very convincing romance and love triangle that is the basis of the non-political aspects of the plot.

4 1/3 (accomplishment) / 3 1/3 (enjoyableness) out of 5 stars

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Texan Down Under

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
The Wild Bunch could possibly use a revisit.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.