love

Author Topic: A REAL animation festival  (Read 4393 times)

cvanderkaay

• http://www.studioupstairs.blogspot.com
A REAL animation festival
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
This is what I offered them.

WEEK 1: Director Ralph Bakshi, indie animator extraordinaire-- two films at once
AMERICAN POP
WIZARDS

WEEK 2: Director Isao Takahata, groundbreaking Japanese animator-- two films at once
GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES
MY NEIGHBORS THE YAMADAS

WEEK 3: Director Martin Rosen, British animation director-- two films at once
WATERSHIP DOWN
PLAGUE DOGS

WEEK 4: Director Hayao Miyazaki, superstar Japanese animation director-- two films at once
CASTLE OF COGLIOSTRO
PRINCESS MONONOKE or SPIRITED AWAY

WEEK 5: Director Dave Fleischer, golden age studio animator-- two films at once
THE SUPERMAN ANIMATED COLLECTION
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS

WEEK 6: Two Animator Documentaries--
Frank & Ollie
Winsor McCay: The Master Edition

What I received in return was stony silence and a promise to watch a lot of movies from one country, leaving America, Russia, and Germany out in the cold.  They hurt my soul, but still I listen.
he second most talented filmmaker in the Celebration, Florida voting district

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: A REAL animation festival
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:05:54 PM »
Quote from: "cvanderkaay"

What I received in return was stony silence and a promise to watch a lot of movies from one country, leaving America, Russia, and Germany out in the cold.  They hurt my soul, but still I listen.

It looks like you put a lot of thought into that.  I love the inclusion of Watership Down.  That movie scared the bejeezus out of me when I was little.  I think it came out around the same time as The Lord of the Rings.  It also scared the bejeezus out of me.

I think the boys have real jobs and they can't respond to every email.  I hope your soul heals.  No one likes a hurt soul.  It helps if you don't have one-bwahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA.

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »
Don't forget that the marathons have always been a bit unabashedly self-serving, to fill in the gaps that Adam and Sam have identified in their own viewing experience. They're not designed to be a "best of" survey of a category. Not to mention the sheer number of response to anime they might have received. Your passion notwithstanding, yours was one vote.

cvanderkaay

• http://www.studioupstairs.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:13:41 PM »
You're all correct.  So I believe that a violent revolt is in order.  I'll take Sam, you take Adam, and I'll train the troops in case Scott Smith shows up.
he second most talented filmmaker in the Celebration, Florida voting district

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »
Quote from: "cvanderkaay"
You're all correct.  So I believe that a violent revolt is in order.  I'll take Sam, you take Adam, and I'll train the troops in case Scott Smith shows up.

I would never think to overthrow my benevolent dictators.  I hope to be a general in their army someday, so you may be the first traitor I turn in to curry their favor.

And next time, please post in the already established animation marathon thread.  You'll get read; I promise.

Sam

• http://www.filmspotting.net
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »
CHRIS I APOLOGIZE!

I loved your list and actually suggested to Adam that we do it, as proposed.  I especially liked that you did the research and made sure that they were all available on Netflix.

Adam made the case that 1) it's probably a little unrealistic to be watching two marathon movies every week (we do have jobs ... and wives .... and Adam has two kids) and 2) a LOT of other listeners have put their two-cents in and their opinions are just as valid.

So.  We'll see.  We're still narrowing down the list.  I think Watership Down is going to make the cut.

Thanks,

Brother to the ailing dictator,

Sam
-
Hear new movie reviews and insightful film talk on Filmspotting with Adam Kempenaar and Sam Van Hallgren

Subscribe to Filmspotting: http://feeds.feedburner.com/cinecast

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:59:31 PM »
that is a good list, i especially like the inclusion of Winsor McCay, being a huge fan of "Gertie the Dinosaur". But as the resident german here i gotta ask: Where is Russia and Germany in your list ? to ask even further: are there any decent german animation movies apart from the eighty year old "Prince Achmed", the french have "Triplettes de Belleville", the czechs have Jan Svankmajer and what do we get: "Werner - Das muĂź kesseln!!!", believe animationwise there is nothing to see here...

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »
Am I the only one who was so completely disturbed by Watership Down? The scene with me sitting on the hall stairs sobbing about dead rabbits is not one I want to relive.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 06:58:02 AM »
Quote from: "winrit"
Am I the only one who was so completely disturbed by Watership Down? The scene with me sitting on the hall stairs sobbing about dead rabbits is not one I want to relive.

Imagine being 5 or so and seeing it.  Wasn't it filmed in that same weird half-animation that they did for The Lord of the Rings?  My dad scarred me with what he made me watch.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »
I had to watch it in my elementary school classroom.  I can't remember how old I was, but I was young, too young.

Tagline from IMDB: All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.

Sounds kid friendly.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."