love

Author Topic: FYC 2009: Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor  (Read 57598 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: FYC 2009: Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
Can everyone please list the film first and the actor second?  That is how we post it in the first thread.  Thanks!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:30:41 AM »
I don't think the deciding factor in deciding whether an actor should be lead or supporting has anything to do with screen time or whether someone else in the movie has a bigger role or anything like that.  It's more just about whether the role is substantial enough to be competitive in the lead category.  If it is, it should go there; if it isn't, then it should go under supporting.

Jackie Earle Haley, for example, should be supporting.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
I don't think the deciding factor in deciding whether an actor should be lead or supporting has anything to do with screen time or whether someone else in the movie has a bigger role or anything like that.  It's more just about whether the role is substantial enough to be competitive in the lead category.  If it is, it should go there; if it isn't, then it should go under supporting.

pixote

I would put him in the lead category for that exact reason. He's the center of the film.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:13 AM »
From Basil:

Paul Rudd - I Love You, Man (lead)

As far as JEH - I think he's supporting.  There is no leads in this film as its an ensemble piece.  Him being good in his supporting role makes it seem like he's the center of the film but there really isn't one.  Its a great supporting turn.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
Watchmen-Billy Crudup
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

pixote

I would put him in the lead category for that exact reason. He's the center of the film.

I believe this calls for a poll. Eventually, at least.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »
Just speaking for myself: if Watchmen had been a 2008 film, Haley wouldn't have come close to making my Lead Actor ballot.  But he would have had a chance for Supporting.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
Just speaking for myself: if Watchmen had been a 2008 film, Haley wouldn't have come close to making my Lead Actor ballot.  But he would have had a chance for Supporting.

pixote

That's because 2008 was such a weak year for film.  ::)
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »

pixote

It would have been the opposite for me. He probably would have been third on my actor ballot (behind Rourke, Jenkins and Langella), but he probably would have been just left off my supporting actor list last year (where I had eventual landslide winner Heath Ledger at #5).
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
I changed Jackie Earle Haley to supporting actor.  I saw Watchmen this weekend and agree with most around here that it is a supporting performance.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/