Poll

Which musical sequence from Fantasia was your favorite?

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
0 (0%)
Nutcracker Suite
1 (3.6%)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
7 (25%)
The Rite of Spring
1 (3.6%)
Intermission/Meet the Soundtrack
0 (0%)
The Pastoral Symphony
3 (10.7%)
Dance of the Hours
2 (7.1%)
Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Fantasia: Best Sequence  (Read 6300 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Fantasia: Best Sequence
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
Fantasia begins with the curtains being opened to reveal an orchestra stand. Musicians take their places, and tune their instruments.  Stokowski begins conducting the first strains of the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, by Johann Sebastian Bach.  The first third of the Toccata and Fugue is in live-action, and features an orchestra playing the piece, illuminated by abstract light patterns set in time to the music and backed by stylized (and superimposed) shadows. The number segues into an abstract animation piece set in time to the music.

The Nutcracker Suite depicts the changing of the seasons; first from summer to autumn, and then from autumn to winter. It features a variety of dances by animated fairies, fish, flowers, mushrooms, and leaves.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice tells the story of an apprentice who cannot control the magic that he has tried to use, with Mickey Mouse in the role of the apprentice. Afterwards, Mickey and conductor Leopold Stokowski, seen in silhouette, congratulate each other.

The Rite of Spring is a condensed version of the natural history of the Earth from the formation of the planet, to the first living creatures, to the age, reign, and extinction of the dinosaurs.

There is a fifteen-minute intermission following The Rite of Spring. Musicians are seen departing the orchestra stand, and the doors close to reveal a title card. After the intermission there is a jam session of jazz music, followed immediately by the brief Meet the Soundtrack sequence which gives audiences a stylized example of how sound is rendered as waveforms to record the music for Fantasia.

The Pastoral Symphony depicts a mythical ancient Greek world of centaurs, centaurettes (a Disney studio creation), a pegasus and his family, the gods of Mount Olympus, fauns, cupids, and other legendary creatures and characters of classical mythology. It tells the story of the mythological creatures gathering for a festival to honor Bacchus, the god of wine riding his horned donkey, Jacchus, which is interrupted by Zeus, who decides to have a little fun by throwing lightning bolts at the attendees.

Dance of the Hours features comic ostriches, hippos, elephants, and alligators all attempting to perform the actual ballet.

In Night on Bald Mountain, the nocturnal Chernabog summons restless souls from their graves, until he is driven away by the sound of a church bell. The camera tracks away from Bald Mountain to reveal a line of faithful townfolk walking through the forest and ruins of a cathedral to the sounds of the Ave Maria.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:22:16 PM by 1StrongOpinion »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Fantasia: Best Sequence
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
The one where the Pegasus reminded me of Hercules.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
Sorcerer's Apprentice for me, it's mickey, it's fun, it looks great and is the musical piece I enjoy the most.

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
I voted for the Bald Mountain/Ave Maria sequence. So scary, then so beautiful.

Y'all might be interested to know that a live-action version of Sorcerer's Apprentice is currently filming (around the corner from where I work), staring Nick Cage as the sorcerer and Jay Baruchel as the apprentice. Oy vey.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
I voted for my avatar.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
The Sorcerer's Apprentice for me, with Bald Mountain coming in second.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »
Someone should vote for the one with the dinosaurs because it's the second or third best in the film.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:03:28 PM »
Even though I'm not following this marathon.  I do have memories of this film and the Bald Mountain sequence was one of those early memories that frightened me.  The music, the animation, that monster.  My God, I was traumatized.  I recall those images now and amazed at how brilliant the art direction and layering of those images are.  It's my favorite for its technical work and suspense.  The second is Sorcerer's Apprentice for all of its beauty and suspense. 

I have scattered memories of The Nutcracker Suite and Dance of the Hours but don't remember much about the rest of the film.  It's been a very long time since I've seen it.  I do remember seeing it in the theaters but don't have much memory about it.  I think whatever cred I have might be shot because of my poor memory.  All I know was that I was unsure what to think of it.  I think if I see it now, I probably would've enjoyed it. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
I'm not a monster.  I'm a black god.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
Rite of Spring. The music and the images that accompany it made for the most thrilling and intriguing of all the segments I felt.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

love