Author Topic: April Movie Dictator Club Match-ups: First Post, Topic is Guilty Pleasures  (Read 35001 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
I forgot to mention that Alexarch can watch Sphere for extra credit if he so chooses. It also features Sam Jackson and an underwater station and even the same submarine thingie.
Read the book and hated it. Can't imagine I'd like a movie that was universally panned based on a book that I hated.

Ok, but it has Sam Jackson! And that dude that did things! And let us not forget Queen Latifah as the sassy black girl! Another parallel with Deep Blue Sea's LL Cool J as the sassy black guy with a parrot!
I do enjoy a good, sassy black character. And I do like when there's swimming. And then things blow up. If only there was a half-naked himbo to seal the deal.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
I forgot to mention that Alexarch can watch Sphere for extra credit if he so chooses. It also features Sam Jackson and an underwater station and even the same submarine thingie.
Read the book and hated it. Can't imagine I'd like a movie that was universally panned based on a book that I hated.

Ok, but it has Sam Jackson! And that dude that did things! And let us not forget Queen Latifah as the sassy black girl! Another parallel with Deep Blue Sea's LL Cool J as the sassy black guy with a parrot!
I do enjoy a good, sassy black character. And I do like when there's swimming. And then things blow up. If only there was a half-naked himbo to seal the deal.

Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: April Movie Dictator Club Sign-ups
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
I'll watch alot but we all have our limits and I simply refuse to watch Hanna Montana.

Suite, Suite Victory!

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
As previously mentioned, I haven't been able to find my wife's copy of Mean Girls on DVD, hence me not having watched/reviewed yet.  That being said, I DVRed one off TNT LA, so I'm hoping to watch it this week.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
The Kentucky Fried Movie (John Landis, 1977)

I loved this. Thank you, Alex the architect, for many, many laughs. I am a sucker for everything the Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker team has done, and this was no exception. I think the only thing that feels like it's overlong now is the Fistful of Yen sequence - everything else is still really funny. The Zinc Oxide and You segment is particularly good (and much copied), and See You Next Wednesday (In Feel-A-Round) was also great. A perfect dictation.

I think others might enjoy it too! It has everything a movie needs.

Robots!
Boobies!
Explosions!

I hate old things. I need boobies and explosions.

Also, Bond fans, that's George Lazenby there in that clip second from bottom.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:46:45 PM by Thor »
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: April Movie Dictator Club Match-ups: First Post, Topic is Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
Thor, I totally missed when you posted this. I'm really sorry. I should have commented earlier.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I haven't seen it in probably ten to fifteen years, so I probably need to watch it again. This is one of those naughty movies that me and my high school friends somehow got in our grubby, little hands. We watched a few times. It just keeps getting stupider and stupider. That especially goes for A Fistful of Yen. I don't know why, but that guy with the police light on his head going, "Bwam, bwam, bwam" into the megaphone gets me every time. It's so incredibly stupid, so I start laughing. Then when friends look at me in horror, like, "Why are you laughing? That's not funny." I start laughing more. That cycle continues until I'm on the floor holding my belly and I can't breathe.