love

Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 45618 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Netflix
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
Netflix getting greedy.

Sorry, pixote, I couldn't resist starting an extraneous thread just to give you more work. Feel free to do your research and combine this with another thread.

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
Re: Netflix
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
I don't get this.  They're not THAT much more expensive than dvd's.  And can't Netflix get some kind of bulk purchase discount?  I sincerly doubt they're paying MSRP for all of their discs.
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
Yea, it's not like they are significantly charging you more than you are paying, just a few more buck a month. And considering the average Blu Ray costs %50 more than the average DVD I think that it is fair to up the fee a bit more.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
Anybody taking advantage of "Watch Instantly" feature?

I've hooked up two different laptops to two different TVs, and tested it with very fast internet connections, all with HDMI connectivity.

The picture quality is good, but not great. Not as good as my DVD player, but not as bad as SD cable TV.

But the movement is jumpy. It doesn't stall or get caught buffering like many streaming clips. No, the movement is just not smooth like a downloaded movie or DVD/BluRay. It doesn't seem to do that on my computer screen.

Does this happen to anyone watching Watch Instantly on an XBox/Tivo/Roku/other piece of hardware? Does this happen to anyone watching from their laptop or computer?

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »
Netflix getting greedy.

Sorry, pixote, I couldn't resist starting an extraneous thread just to give you more work. Feel free to do your research and combine this with another thread.

well there goes the $3 savings/month that I would've gotten from switching from Blockbuster. meh.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »

Does this happen to anyone watching Watch Instantly on an XBox/Tivo/Roku/other piece of hardware? Does this happen to anyone watching from their laptop or computer?
[/quote 50% of the stuff I see on netflix is from the Watch Instantly feature. We have a Roku in the living room that gets used a ton. I swear that thing is in use half the day.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »

50% of the stuff I see on netflix is from the Watch Instantly feature. We have a Roku in the living room that gets used a ton. I swear that thing is in use half the day.
What's your experience with the Roku like? Picture quality? Stalling? Smooth or stuttery movement?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:49:33 PM by alexarch »

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
I watch instantly through Tivo/Netflix with no problems. I've never known it to stall. The only problem to report is when watching movies with subtitles. Sometimes the subtitles get cut off.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »
No, the movement is just not smooth like a downloaded movie or DVD/BluRay.

I've never watched anything on Instant Netflix, but what you've described matches my recent experiences watching Buffy on Hulu.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
No, the movement is just not smooth like a downloaded movie or DVD/BluRay.

I've never watched anything on Instant Netflix, but what you've described matches my recent experiences watching Buffy on Hulu.

pixote

Same. Which is why I'm glad I don't have to rely on that any more...

To answer alexarch's q, when I played movies and such through my Xbox's Netflix feature it would play a bit at the "highest" quality then stop and say it had to down grade me to the middle quality. Both looked pretty much the same. I didn't have any issues watching 30 Rock or Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, but neither of those have really big action sequences where what you are talking about would be noticeable.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love