Author Topic: Fearless (Peter Weir / Jeff Bridges)  (Read 4280 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Fearless (Peter Weir / Jeff Bridges)
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
Peter Weir (Truman Show, Dead Poet's Society, Master and Commander) directed this haunting film about a man making sense of the fact he survived a plane crash.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106881/

Worth watching if for nothing else for the scene with the toolbox and the brick wall

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Fearless (Peter Weir / Jeff Bridges)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »
I could think of a few more scenes (everything to do with strawberries) but as wrong as this may sound, the plane crash is pretty fantastic.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

bb6634

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:02:38 AM »
I could think of a few more scenes (everything to do with strawberries) but as wrong as this may sound, the plane crash is pretty fantastic.

Agreed!  It also introduced me to Goreki's haunting Symphony #3.

andyg

• My Site
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
Great film!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »
It is really the most moving plane crash sequence I've seen on film after watching it again recently.

I'm also starting to think the creators of Lost were fans of this movie.  There are a lot of similar themes!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

pinko

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
I just finished watching it for the second time and wanted to come start a thread here for it.  Luckily someone has already done the job.

A lot of this movie should come off as corny but it almost never does. And some of the scenes (a lot of them mentioned here already) are just the most amazingly moving scenes that no one ever mentions.  I think this movie is criminally underseen. It's not perfect, but I think it deserves to be in the same conversation that movies like The Sweet Hereafter or the Ice Storm are. (You know, all those offbeat, excellent, heavy but not stifling movies based on novels conversations you have)

It's on Netflix instant right now. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. It's pretty great.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
I just finished watching it for the second time and wanted to come start a thread here for it.  Luckily someone has already done the job.

A lot of this movie should come off as corny but it almost never does. And some of the scenes (a lot of them mentioned here already) are just the most amazingly moving scenes that no one ever mentions.  I think this movie is criminally underseen. It's not perfect, but I think it deserves to be in the same conversation that movies like The Sweet Hereafter or the Ice Storm are. (You know, all those offbeat, excellent, heavy but not stifling movies based on novels conversations you have)

It's on Netflix instant right now. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. It's pretty great.

Cool!  Glad you liked it.   It would be an interesting back-to-back with Shamaylan's "Unbreakable".
(switchboard)

bromidictirades

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:08:18 AM »
I'm thrilled that there was already a thread for this! I can't believe I've waited so long to poke around these forums...I've been listening to the show for years...

As pinko said it is criminally under seen. It is my favorite Weir film...

When people ask me for a film recommendation I always include it...but barely anyone takes me up on it...drives me mad!

I don't understand how a film this powerful and beautiful has sort of been swept under the rug...

If I ever get to choose a film for Adam & Matty to review....it will be this one for sure.