Author Topic: Politics  (Read 210201 times)

valmz

Re: Politics
« Reply #6130 on: September 30, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
I don't know that gay marriage is the sole example of the court being ahead of the people that you can point to in history. Brown vs. Board of Education came 10 years before the Voter Rights Act. It's not always possible to know how long one of the other branches would have taken to move the country forward. I think it's more fair to say that each branch has its moments of lurching ahead and falling behind. More importantly, each is entirely made up of people, and you may find that the lurches and dragging are directly related to the people. If we want to see the Supreme Court drag us backward for the next 50 years, then we can certainly just tell everyone that they should never have trusted the Supreme Court to begin with and certainly shouldn't now. I don't think it's that simple, and it certainly doesn't have to be that way.

Regardless, Kavanaugh's confirmation is less about dragging, since an equally qualified justice would have dragged the court behind for decades to come - it is about integrity, since Kavanaugh is a proven liar and a proven violent offender who has evaded justice at many turns and seems to know nothing about what it stands for.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6131 on: October 05, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
The only possible upside of this is GOP voters already got what the wanted and Dem/progressive/anti-GOP voters are even angrier and go to the polls in even higher numbers. Who knows though. CINECAST! Manchin.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6132 on: October 10, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
My new American girlfriend is very much into politics, so to ingratiate myself with her I'm helping her with her activism. We're going to march for « a woman's right to shoes », which sounds a bit silly to me, but hey, women.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6133 on: October 10, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
High heals, right?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman