love

Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 339225 times)

Cirilia

Re: Avatars
« Reply #1840 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
Seen two episodes now...can't say I exactly see the analogy. Skins lacks the verisimilitude of Show Me Love. Its characters are exaggerations and its plots are melodrama. Which isn't to say Skins isn't entertaining.

As usual, I see the aesthetic similarities first, and I think both Skins and Show Me Love have the same charm of shows like Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life, actual teens playing teens, relative unknowns who aren't groomed within an inch of their lives. I think sex scenes in all of these works are particularly great--they have exactly the right balance of fumbling and fervent, rings pretty true to me. Skins is absolutely melodramatic but totally entertaining to me, (at least for the first series, the second and third have no redeeming qualities whatsoever), nostalgia might be at play here too, I spent most of my teen years in Europe.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1841 on: March 18, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »
Seen two episodes now...can't say I exactly see the analogy. Skins lacks the verisimilitude of Show Me Love. Its characters are exaggerations and its plots are melodrama. Which isn't to say Skins isn't entertaining.

As usual, I see the aesthetic similarities first, and I think both Skins and Show Me Love have the same charm of shows like Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life, actual teens playing teens, relative unknowns who aren't groomed within an inch of their lives. I think sex scenes in all of these works are particularly great--they have exactly the right balance of fumbling and fervent, rings pretty true to me. Skins is absolutely melodramatic but totally entertaining to me, (at least for the first series, the second and third have no redeeming qualities whatsoever), nostalgia might be at play here too, I spent most of my teen years in Europe.

Even though I'm currently very angry at Skins, I have to say that it has had many, many terrific episodes. Since it uses a vignette format, the storytelling functions dynamically at the episodic level, even if season arcs end up disappointing.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1842 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »

Even though I'm currently very angry at Skins, I have to say that it has had many, many terrific episodes. Since it uses a vignette format, the storytelling functions dynamically at the episodic level, even if season arcs end up disappointing.

Series 1 and 2 are on Netflix Instant so I can just go at it hot and heavy but burnout quickly...just like a teen. *rimshot* I do adore Cassie. She reminds me of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter.

Cirilia

« Reply #1843 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »

Series 1 and 2 are on Netflix Instant so I can just go at it hot and heavy but burnout quickly...just like a teen. *rimshot* I do adore Cassie. She reminds me of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter.

Nailed it [virtual five]! Cassie is sublime, and I love Sid as well. I did watch most of 2 because I just wanted to see more of those characters but nothing ever came close to the greatness of some of Series' 1 episodes...the field trip to Russia episode comes to mind. Anytime a series can make you laugh out loud and come close to tears in one 45 minute arc...it's a win, and yes, even more so because of its schlocky qualities, IMO.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1844 on: March 18, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
oh WOW

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1845 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Am I the only who can't see smirnoff's avatar?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1846 on: March 18, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Am I the only who can't see smirnoff's avatar?
What avatar?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1847 on: March 18, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?