Author Topic: May MDC - Cannes  (Read 20782 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
May MDC - Cannes
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »
DICTATOR                                 SUBJECT                           FILM

Thor                                        Clovis8                                Scarecrow
THATguy                                   thevoid99                          The Purple Rose of Cairo
zarodinu                                   smirnoff                            Woman in the Dunes
worm@work                              Bill Thompson                    Yi Yi
                                                                                        Paris, Texas
                                                                                        Le Fils
Emiliana                                    worm@work                     Le huitième jour
skjerva                                     stevekimes                        Umberto D
Konnel                                      zarodinu                          The Mission
smirnoff                                    THATguy                           The Kid Stays in the Picture
ses593                                      lotr-sam0711                     The Pianist
                                                                                        I Confess
lotr-sam0711                            ses593                               The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
jbissell                                     jbissell                                Taste of Cherry
Bill Thompson                           skjerva                               The Third Man
FLYmeatwad                              _Keith_                              Secrets & Lies
_Keith_                                    Wilson                                Dancer in the Dark
pixote                                      pixote                                 The Kidnappers
Clovis8                                     Emiliana                            Happy Together
Junior                                        Thor                                  Southland Tales
Wilson                                      Konnel                                The Wind that Shakes the Barley
stevekimes                                FLYmeatwad                        The Mission
saltine                                      Junior                                Wild at Heart
thevoid99                                  saltine                               La Dolce Vita

---------------

April
March
February
January
December
November
October
September
(July/)August
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:07:40 AM by skjerva »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: May MDC - Cannes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »
Hmmm, animation shot down yet again. In order to get the top animation topic running, I'd like to do a second dictation topic this month, that being an animated film, but the dictator club is not my thing so if you and Saltine aren't for it then don't worry about it.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
in (for whatever)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Screw animation, lets do some Cannes!

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
In. Are we just picking anything that's ever played at Cannes?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
Screw animation, lets do some Cannes!

Screw Malick is more like it, if only he showcased foliage in animation form, then he'd have some real talent.  :P

Oh yeah, either way, I'm in.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »

If we're doing that - thats quite a lot of films.  dunno what may have played in and out of competition either.  I'd say limit it to either any award winner or only Palm D'or winners.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Although I still haven't found the Mrs' copy of Mean Girls for April, I'm in.

Although I'd also much rather see Animation.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »

i'm open to whatever connection - prize winners or anything in competition or selected - not sure if others want to get picky with this.

Hmmm, animation shot down yet again. In order to get the top animation topic running, I'd like to do a second dictation topic this month, that being an animated film, but the dictator club is not my thing so if you and Saltine aren't for it then don't worry about it.

Up is opening Cannes this year ;)  i think void PMed me this suggestion before anything else was floated last month, i think i even posted somewhere that May's theme was set before we had even polled April.  i'm of course fine with you setting up another MDC for the month (or for always :) )

If we're doing that - thats quite a lot of films.  dunno what may have played in and out of competition either.  I'd say limit it to either any award winner or only Palm D'or winners.

free skate is also a lot of films (as is documentary, as is...)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
true but in my head using cannes as a theme suggest the spirit of competition and award recipients as a strong element in the dictation process.  though dictating only films that have been booed by the frenchies would be pretty awesome as well.

love