Author Topic: 90s US Round 5: Hoop Dreams vs. Reservoir Dogs  (Read 40106 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
1990s US Bracket, Round 5: Hoop Dreams vs. Reservoir Dogs
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
A brutal matchup, but finally a decision I can get behind!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »
Thank God! Tarantino lives!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
 :o

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
If we did a 90's docs brackets it would be a well deserved HD landslide I think. In fact, HD would be a fav for an alltime docs bracket I bet.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
Now is as good a time as any to really voice how much I truly HATED the staff at St. Joesph's. They seemed throughout the movie to want to beat down Arthur.  I don't know if they didn't know how they would be perceived on film, but how this school didn't get burned to the ground when this movie cam out amazes me.  They really created some incredible villains there.

See, I thought of them as a part of the system too. And I didn't really come away with such a negative image.

I really thought they could have cut Arthur a break.  Maybe not letting him stay in school, but when the parents came back years later to get his transcripts and they were still playing hardball making these parents come up with money they didn't have to try and help their son graduate really felt cold hearted.

I can see what you're saying but I feel like that's how real life works. Maybe I'm far too cynical or something but my feeling was that they had moved past Arthur and at this point, he was just an ex-student who hadn't paid his fees. It wasn't 'years later'. Just a year or max. 2 years later. The way that schools like St.Joe's prolly subsidize their other scholarship programs (like the one that helped William stay there) is by making sure the non-scholarship students pay their fees, right? I felt bad for Arthur too but I didn't blame the staff as much as the entire system of athletic scholarships that basically reward students till such time as they stay star athletes but gets withdrawn as soon as  an athlete hits a slump.

As someone who came from Joe's I feel that I can weigh in on this. At St. Joe's Ping is rightfully viewed as a god, but this isn't just because he is the high school basketball coach in Illinois state history. He legitimately cares about every kid he recruits and goes out of his way to bend, and break, the rules as much as he can to help them out. He does this for non-players as well.

I worked every summer at Joe's to help pay off my tuition, and so did a lot of other athletes, and we actually worked, we weren't just showing up and doing nothing. I worked with Ping most of the time and he was a great guy who was always going to bat for kids. When a kid by the name of Brian Tylor who's only connection to Ping was having him as substitute homeroom teacher every once in a while lost his father, Ping fronted all the money for his freshman ear at Penn State.

I know that at one point I was considering quitting wrestling and leaving the school and Ping talked me out of it. He didn't talk to me about wrestling or anything like that, but about how my education was important so even if I quit the team he wanted me to stay at the school because that would help my chances at the next level. He was always like that, looking out for every student, not just his players.

As for the staff, they were doing their job, school is a business, I had to pay for my transcripts and so should Arthur.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
I wanted an excuse to see HD but alas. RD is pretty freakin' awesome though.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
I'm lost.

Is the last couple of pages Reservoir Dogs vs. Hoop Dreams discussion? If it is, who won?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Gobman

« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »
I'm lost.

Is the last couple of pages Reservoir Dogs vs. Hoop Dreams discussion? If it is, who won?
Not really, but Reservoir Dogs won.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
I'm lost.

Not really, but Reservoir Dogs won.

I'm not sure whether I want to woot! or not.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »

love