love

Author Topic: Theatre - The last play you saw, or are about to see  (Read 27022 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Theatre - The last play you saw, or are about to see
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
Act 1 is amazing. I hope the rest can maintain the creativity.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »

Matilda the Musical

I tried to find a clip that gave a good translation of what I saw tonight, and while there are numerous clips and montages and even a couple of scenes online, this is one of those live theatrical experiences that doesn't translate well to youtube. It also would make for a horrible film adaptation. The show is even more cartoonish than Danny DeVito's 1996 movie. Matilda's parents and the evil Trunchbull are so over-the-top they make Sacha Baron Cohen subtle by comparison. Yet I quickly settled into these performances because they operated at just a couple of the film's many speeds. Each one won me over with a great number or bit of comedy, and I firmly believe nobody can keep Bertie Carvel (Trunchbull) from collecting the Tony next year.

Ever since I saw Book of Mormon, there's been something nagging me about it I couldn't put my finger on. It was hilarious, original and smart yet there was a sameness to it. A feeling it could just pick any culture or group of people and find comedy gold by mocking their contradictions. Matilda is funny, and then it's emotional, then borderline scary, surprising, childish but not too childish, mature in a way that makes me wonder if it will scare off part of the audience or even effect repeatability because it isn't going for approval all the time. Roald Dahl's touch and tone were not smoothed out one bit.

For me, my few negatives are counteracted by a handful of instantly catchy and clever songs that make me want to own the soundtrack and some of the greatest bits of staging I've ever seen in a show. Moments like a bully song whose lyrics come back later to reveal they actually contain the alphabet. Each letter becomes a block in a wall that creates steps the performers dance and climb on. School desks rise up from the floor, a kid eats a giant cake and other bits that involve the aisles of the theater. During the Intermission the actor playing Matilda's father comes out to make an announcement and engage in a bit of improv with the audience. He slides unnoticeably from actor into character and launches into a song about how television is better than books. ...and with that, the magic continues.

1. Matilda the Musical
2. Avenue Q

3. Book of Mormon
4. Spam-A-Lot

5. Beauty and the Beast
6. Anything Goes
7. Mary Poppins

8. The Lion King
9. Nuttin' But Hutton

Eldog

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »
Wicked in 2012 at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
That's a great show Eldog. btw, loving all your posts! :)

1SO, how amazing! I never would have thought that story could be pulled off, and so well, in a theatre setting. I am completely intrigued. Thanks for the review.

Eldog

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
That's a great show Eldog. btw, loving all your posts! :)

Thanks Sandy, you are too kind. I love the podcast and these forums.  Sadly I'm lacking a background in film studies so I feel a little bit out of my depth with all the heavyweights in here! Hopefully my enthusiasm and willingness to learn will count for something!  :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »
Thanks Sandy, you are too kind. I love the podcast and these forums.  Sadly I'm lacking a background in film studies so I feel a little bit out of my depth with all the heavyweights in here! Hopefully my enthusiasm and willingness to learn will count for something!  :)

:))

You and me both! We can swim amongst the big fish, because they're very accommodating and encouraging.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
Very few of the people here have a background in film studies. We're mostly amateurs, so join in without fear!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Eldog

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »
Very few of the people here have a background in film studies. We're mostly amateurs, so join in without fear!

Thanks Junior. Sandy's and your kind words mean a lot. It is nice to be welcomed without judgement.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
Matilda sounds great, 1SO! My kids would love it I bet, too, who already love everything Dahl. (We actually all really like the DeVito movie.  ;D )

And, yes, welcome, Eldog! We all just love movies here - and the people who love them.  :)

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
That sounds wonderful 1SO!

We had planned to see Book of Mormons during our NYC trip, but the tickets we could get hold of where insanely expensive, only premium left and they were out of reach for ordinary people. Our children wanted to watch something more familiar, so we our choice fell on The Phantom of the Opera. Neither of us had seen it, which is a bit weird since it's been running for 25 years and is the most seen piece of entertainment ever if I understood it correctly, including the biggest cinematic box office hits. You could say it was about time we catched up with it. And we loved it! There were a lot of moments that gave me goosebumps, some of the special effects are still stunningly beautiful and the singing, particularly the guy who sang the phantom role, was fantastic. A night to remember.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

love