Author Topic: Theatre - The last play you saw, or are about to see  (Read 27068 times)

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
Re: Theatre - The last play you saw, or are about to see
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
They cut the alphabet song?!?  :o It's definitely the highlight of the show. That's a weird choice. Possibly it has something to do with safely being able to climb? I wonder if they couldn't make it sturdy enough in a temporary installation. Still, it's the sort of thing I would've expected them to fight for...

It's interesting in Australia because we usually get something between the fixed productions of Broadway and the touring productions. Shows usually do between 3-6 months, with only blockbusters like The Lion King doing more (Book of Mormon opens Jan 2017 and will probably run at least a full 12 months in Melbourne, but that is rare). They then have to pack up and move on to other Australian cities and then usually Asia, so they have to be scaled down to a certain extent. In Matilda, for example, the desks don't rise out of the stage, they slide on and off from the wings.

I did really like "Telly", especially when he throws the books over his shoulder and the son catches them. And the son shouting "TELLY!" any time it comes up. So many clever, small touches.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »
And the son's "guitar solo". Plus the way it just springs up with the Father making fun of the audience who are still getting back to their seat.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2016, 11:14:19 PM »
Probably doesn't quite belong here, but I don't really know where else to put it.

Cornel West came to my school tonight and I was smart enough to get my butt out of my apartment and go see him. He talked for about an hour and twenty minutes seemingly without notes and while brilliantly referencing all sorts of other great thinkers and doers, be it Emmett Till's mother or Kant or George Eliot (though he did call her a "brother" which got my lit friends a little riled for a moment or two) or Rosa Parks. He used W.E.B. Dubois's four questions as a frame to talk about how to live in the face of injustice. “How shall integrity face oppression? . . . What does honesty do in the face of deception? . . . What does decency do in the face of insult? . . . How does virtue meet brute force?” Because it was a talk somewhat focused on the black liberation movement and BLM, he skewed his specifics towards that, which I found fascinating. My favorite was from the first question, as he argued that it has become harder to have integrity in the face of neo-liberal market forces, and he used Beyonce and Aretha Franklin to show how even the forces for good, the artists that help propel movements through their art have aquiesced to the power of image, of material goods, and of money. Beyonce is beautiful, an amazing dancer, and a great singer. But she is part of the corporate machine, and her image makes her and those who "own" her a whole ton of money. Whereas Franklin just stood there and sang. He talked a lot about music, actually. Jazz and soul and they way that black musicians in America have made it possible to dream of a place where all people are treated with equal humanity.

Another moving detail: He said that the logical response that black people might have had when they were finally released from slavery could have been to form a kind of terrorist response to the violence and oppression they endured which would have started a cycle of violence that would have ripped this nation apart. Instead, they imagined a world where nobody would suffer like they suffered, where all people would be brought out of all oppression. It's a model of caring deeply about every human because they are a human that I can really get behind.

It was such an exciting and invigorating talk. The guy has a gift for public speaking. You want to just listen to him for forever.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2016, 01:34:39 AM »
This is the only theatre thread I could find, so please bear with my off-topicness.

I am not fortunate enough to live in either London or New York, or any of those cities where plays originating in the two performing Edens usually tour. At most I get the occasional live projection in a local cinema, but these are rare and have limited seats, not to mention the ticket prices.

So here is my question: Is there a way to watch plays, musicals and the like the way one watches movies once they've been released on DVD ? Can I stream them somewhere ?

Now, assuming it is not completely impossible for me to watch these (which it very well might be), does anyone have any comments on the current Skylight (Mulligan, Nighy), Hamlet (Cumberbatch) and that thing with Ralph Fiennes ? I am  - naturally I think - attracted to spectacles with movies actors I like.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
You don't get traveling shows...?
I live in Phoenix and most the major shows create a traveling version that hits a lot of cities.
Hey, nice marmot!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
I'll take that into account if I ever move to the US.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2016, 03:11:31 AM »
As well you should.
More Broadway shows would be available to you.
Hey, nice marmot!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
Even Youtube videos of Hamilton are not available to me...

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
I think it maybe cause it is a CBS official video and they are being jerks

Next month I will be seeing Les Mis in Singapore.  The musical recently made news as they had to remove a "gay kiss"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/singapore-authorities-censor-gay-kiss-in-les--misrables/

I have seen it a couple of times before but for some reason do not remember the scene they would be referring to.    The media authority view was it was not in the approved script that got its "General" rating and was licensed.  Regardless, this stuff gets tiring at times.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman